Trying out building my first gaming computer! Newb though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bayra

Solid State Member
Hey I was just trying to get some help with some stuff...make sure all my parts are compatible and nothing is going to bottleneck me in terms of performance.

Case - Lanboy Air
http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?Family=MzQy

Processor - Intel i7
Amazon.com: Intel Core i7-870 Processor 2.93 GHz 8 MB Cache Socket LGA1156: Electronics

Motherboard - Gigabyte
Micro Center - Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P LGA 1156 P55 ATX Motherboard GA-P55A-UD4P

Video Card - GeForce GTX 460
Walmart.com: EVGA 01G-P3-1366-TR GeForce GTX 460 SE PCI Express 2.0 1GB Graphics Card: Computers

RAM - Corsair
Vengeance

SSD - Crucial
Newegg.com - Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

HDD - Western Digital
Amazon.com: Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Internal Desktop Hard Drive Bulk/OEM - WD1002FAEX: Electronics

Power Supply - PC Power and Cooling Silencer MKII 650W
Newegg.com - PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II PPCMK2S650 650W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Mainly I'm curious if the PSU is potent enough for everything, and if everything I picked out is compatible with each other. And if any one component is going to drag the rest down.

Also the reason I chose the air casing is so I wouldn't have to buy extra cooling, but does anyone think extra cooling anyway would be a good idea? I'm using this for work as well. (3D modeling and rendering)

Thanks in advance for the help! It really is appreciated!

I would go with either a i7 2600K or a i5 2500K instead of the i7 870. You'll need to switch to a LGA 1155 mobo, P67 or Z68. I would go with the i5 2500 cpu and use the cash saved on a better video card. For 3D modeling and rendering you should look at spending a lot more money on your video card, either a Quadro card or a GTX 580. I would also suggest looking at G.Skill memory, the tall heatspreaders on the Vengeance modules have compatibility issues with a lot of aftermarket cpu heatsinks. And there really cheap heatspreaders, there not a high quality product like the Dominator heatspreaders.

For 3D modeling and rendering you'll want all the horsepower you can get, extra cooling and overclocking will only be a plus for you.

Ok thanks, I probably will end up going with the i5 2500K so I can do a better graphics card. Do you have a suggestion for a motherboard that would be compatible with that processor? The motherboard area was by far the most confusing for me haha..

Haha not quite that much money to spend. The first one doesn't look bad I guess, although I must admit I don't know what I'm looking at past the sockets matching.

Which video card would you guys recommend with this set up? Something beefier than what I have, but I'm also not looking to go over about 250.

@$250ish, your best bet is a GTX560 Ti or HD6950, depending on your brand preference.
XFX HD6950 $220 (w/MiR)
[URL="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127578"]EVGA GTX560 Ti Superclocked[/URL] $220 (w/MiR)

Either of them will blow the GTX 460 SE out of the water.

*Edit - Sorry didn't see the 3D modeling/rendering, saw GTX460 and instantly thought gamer card, so you can disregard the above unless someone can testify that either of those cards will be more benefit than a Quadro FX580 or FirePro 2450/2460 for your purposes.

I decided to go with the GTX 580 video card. Honestly this game is going to be 95% gaming/5% work since I rarely bring my work home with me unless we are way behind on a project. So I'm more concerned about the card running a game smoothly.

Looks really good. That PSU will have enough juice to power everything stock, EVGA suggests a 600W with 42A.
If you plan on overclocking anything though I would suggest getting something slightly beefier just to have the headroom.

Have you considered putting all your eggs in one basket and just shopping Newegg? Same price on the CPU and GPU.
There is a shipping charge on the GPU, but you also get a nifty little USB TV-in device.
And you can combo the CPU with a Corsair HX650 and pay less than you would for the 2500k and SeaSonic 620w separately, add in the $20 MiR and the deal gets even sweeter.

Yes awesome thanks Roark. I'm going to do that. That's why I came here haha. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom