trying to fix my gaming build

Status
Not open for further replies.
The SSD performance may be that much better than HDD but you haven't addressed the most obvious problem with SSD. 40GB is even less than 64GB and neither is large enough to fit Windows 7 and a library of games. Windows 7 itself takes up 16GB which leaves 48GB/24GB. Most modern games easily use 2-5GB, you might fit a few games but if you plan on buying games in the future you'll run out of space and be forced to uninstall things to make room. I've already used 117GB on my week-old new build and that is only Windows 7, games, and apps (all my music/movies/video/pictures/etc is stored on my 1.5TB server). If you have hundreds of extra dollars to spare on your new build, go with a 128GB SSD, that way you'll have room and speed, but I honestly don't think SSD's are worth it yet. The technology is great, but the cost per GB isn't good enough to make it worth buying yet, especially when the price will probably drop as mainstream SSD use increases.

As for the motherboard, I would go with the Gigabyte X58A-UD3R instead of the one you picked. They're both $209 but the Gigabyte is a full ATX board (more expansion slots, more features) and the Gigabyte supports USB 3.0, SATA III, and has a lot more ports on the rear panel (8 USB, 2 eSATA, PS/2 keyboard AND mouse, optical/coaxial SPDIF, 6 audio, 2 firewire, gigabit Ethernet, and clear CMOS button). I'd only get the Rampage II (or any MicroATX board for that matter) if you're using a microATX case. The case you mentioned in the first post is an ATX Full tower, which is plenty big enough for a full size ATX board.

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Also that RAM will work, it is triple channel DDR3 which is perfect for the Core i7.

indeed that mobo is better, thanx :)

as far as the ssd goes it was just to put my os on and nothing else. i heard that doing that would make things move faster and to put all other files on the other hdd. someone once told me to use a VelociRaptor instead of an ssd

Yeah, with an i7 and 5870 and that Gigabyte board it will practically be the same as my build, but if you add a cooler you can overclock (the stock i7 cooler is barely enough for stock clocks, your overclocking will be pretty limited with it). The only difference is my RAM is 1600 speed which is a little faster, you can always try overclocking the RAM though.

i cant wait to get my second 5870... make my rig scream!

or maybe by the time im ready to get another 5870, a 5890 will be out and ill get one of those :D

anyway, im excited to see this build comming together and i look forward to it going from planning to an actual computer!

i have no idea how to do overclocking but im sure i could probably find out how on good somewhere lol. in any case im really happy that i now have a solid gaming build :)
thank you guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom