Trying to decide if I should upgrade. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2006, 12:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Geek Squad
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 788
Default Trying to decide if I should upgrade.

Hey guys, got a 7800GT video card atm, very nice card, can run Tomb Raider Legacy on full high settings with 40-50 FPS (with shadows turned off, if shadows are on the thing drops to about 20 FPS, I dont care to mcuh about that) I am planning on buying Oblivion, would a 7900 help alot more to process it since it is suppose to be quite a bit more advanced than TRL? Anyways, thanks for the opinions guys.

Another option is just waiting for the next lineup from ATI and nVidia, the g80 and what ever else ATI brings out, granted they will probably be a **** of a lot more expensive.

Thanks again

"Truth is violated by falsehood but outraged by silence."

"Mastering others is strength, mastering yourself is true power." ~Sun Tzu

"Ad Astra Per Aspera"

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." ~Confucious

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.” ~ Samuel Jackson

“Omnis vir est fortunae faber”
JoshSB is offline  
Old 04-29-2006, 12:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 686

I don't it would be worth upgrading right now. the 7900 GT's are like the 7800 GTX, so its not that much better. I would just wait for the g80's, it should bring down the prices of the current cards, and they shouldn't be that expensive.

slick_tech15 is offline  
Old 04-29-2006, 02:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 640

A 7900GTX or a X1900XT would help a lot, yea, but if you're thinking about a 7900GT, while it is the minimum recommendation for High + 1280x1024 on Oblivion, it might not be worth it. See if you can sell you 780GT and then get a X1900XT.
Green Radience is offline  
Old 04-29-2006, 03:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Ridlyn's Avatar
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,920

IF you have the money to pay for another 7900gt, why dont you just buy another 7800gt and use sli?
Originally Posted by Sylus View Post
Could have been worse, you could have been raped by a clown.
Ridlyn is offline  
Old 05-07-2006, 12:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 24

Well if you have cash to shell out go for the x1900xt or 7900gtx
sli doesnt sound bad either.but if your poor like me, you should wait and see how it runs on your current setup. Then upgrade, if needed.

ohh and i remember a review that told of a glitch with the x1900xt and 7900gtx (in oblivion) both had the shadows flicker constantly. They just turned off the shadows like you did in tomb raider. But other then them never herd anyone else say a word about that
dark_omen is offline  
Old 05-07-2006, 12:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 24

ohh and here are some benchmarks
dark_omen is offline  
Old 05-07-2006, 12:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 651
Send a message via AIM to tommyboy123x

heh, i got the 6800gt

im fine with bf2... full settings, 4x AA, 1280x1024

or pay 300 more for a new card...

but i would say wait, just cause im like that, as you can see

at least wait for the g80's.... otherwise your just taking babysteps... really expensive baby steps >_<

Dollar Hauler [dot] Com :)
tommyboy123x is offline  
Old 05-07-2006, 10:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 18

I havn't got the game fever, so i'd say wait a few months.
marty111 is offline  
Old 05-07-2006, 11:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
Monster Techie
MrCoffee's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 1,858

Stick with your card for now.
Intel core I7 920
6GB OCZ platinum 1600
XFX HD4890
Noctua nh-u12p
Corsair HX520
Antec 300
Samsung 1TB F1 Spinpoint
Samsung SM2443BW 24"
MrCoffee is offline  
Old 05-07-2006, 12:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Techie
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 430
Send a message via AIM to tehdigit

7900 will make a difference in your game

i suggest that you sell your 7800 on ebay or something and go with a 7900gt

your 7800 will run it alright but if you want to save for a little i suggest you get a 7900gtx and eventually SLI it

you may also consider SLIing your current card(keep in mind since your motherboard doesnt run at x32 when in SLI you will only get a quarter of the improvement when you are running 2 cards)

blah blah blah 7900gt>7800gt might not be worth the hassle
7900gtx > all in pricerange

Nothing to It
Sponsored by Subway, Steel Series, XFire, Xsessive Hosting

tehdigit is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.