Trying to decide on a GPU upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely the 8800GTS over the x1950pro. Very much worth the money over it too. Theres also the X1950XT to consider, which can be had for as low as $180 on newegg.

Then I have to face the question of will an 8800 fit into my case...

As fo the x1950xt, by only issues with that one is (since newegg only seems to have ONE) cooling. I would defintiely need to drop a few bucks on an aftermarket sink/fan.

The 8800GTS will most likely fit in any mid-tower case. It's really not that big, as people think.

If you're going for the x1950xt, then I would suggest the Zalman VF900 for vga cooling. That would probably bring the total cost of the x1950xt, to $200+.....which you should just go after the 8800GTS. But if you have good airflow in your case, the x1950xt with stock cooling will suffice.

I currently use a Thermaltake Tsunami Dream mid-tower. The air flow is negotiable since I really need to get off my *** and do some cable management.

lol u could fit the gtx in there. the gts will fit fine. i got a small case too and my gtx fits fine

I know the Thermalright HR-03 Plus is a very good VGA cooler for the 8 series.

Over the summer I would like to upgrade my GPU in prep for UT3 and Bioshock. I am torn between getting this Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100176U Radeon X1950PRO 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Ultimate Video Card - Retail x1950 which fits my budget better and would show me the performance increase I need; or should I instead hold out for an 8800gts and take the shot in the wallet errr... credit card?

A little off topic but I think bioshock looks really bad. I read a review of it in Electronic Magazine and it sounded cool. But then I watched a vid on it on Gametrailers.com and was not impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom