trying to build a computer for the first time

Pegasus88

Baseband Member
Hello everyone

names Jay, and Im from Canada. I'm new to this and to computers, I'm interested in building a multi media/gaming PC on the lower side of a $1000ish. Im also interested in forward compatibility so i don't need to rebuild after a year or two. If i could get some advice on what to start with that would be great!So far this is what i have come up with:-asus z77 sabertooth mobo lga1155,-cooler max haf 912 case,-Intel i5 ivybridge*-corsair vengeance 8gb ram (2x4gb),-corsair 750w modular power supply*,-ASUS or MSI geforce 660 (probably SLI a second one in the future),-seagate barracuda 1 tb hdd,*-a cheap dvd /burner for now. Well that's all i for now if you guys could leave your comments and suggestions that would be great

P.S. What Intel socket should i use 1155 or 2011 and what is the difference?

Which i5? I'm assuming the 3570k.

If you drop the board down to something like an ASRock Z77 Extreme 3 it would save you a bit of cash. I would use this extra money to get an eVGA 660ti rather than either of the other two.

Do you need an OS?

1155 is the mainstream, 2011 is enthusiast. You don't need 2011.

I have not heard the best about the EVGA GPUs that's why i chose one of the others, why EVGA I don't really know which cards are he best but I've heard some complainant about them, I'll have to check out that mobo, i picked the sabertooth for its chipset and warranty8

Oh almost forgot, i will need an OS if i can't use the one from my laptop, not sure how to do that either :lol:

I have not heard the best about the EVGA GPUs that's why i chose one of the others, why EVGA I don't really know which cards are he best but I've heard some complainant about them, I'll have to check out that mobo, i picked the sabertooth for its chipset and warranty8
And where did you hear this from? Their customer service and cards are top notch. That's almost as bad as the other guy saying Samsung don't make good stuff lol. They will replace a card on almost any condition and typically do recalls on lines that are bad. Sometimes they even give free upgrades to the inconveniences to those recalls.

The ASRock Extreme 3 is Z77. Warranty is relative between each company, but the Extreme 3 is 3 years as opposed to 5 years on the Sabertooth. Shouldn't need it for either. If you absolutely want the 5 year warranty from Asus there are much cheaper boards that will do the same thing without the cost.

Oh almost forgot, i will need an OS if i can't use the one from my laptop, not sure how to do that either :lol:
What is your OS for your laptop? If you have the disc and it's Windows 7 X64 then you might be able to use the cd key from your laptop but I doubt you can.

Hmm I was reading on another forum , people were talking bad about EVGA, but ill give them another look thanks

For some dumb reason people feel the need to bad talk them, but they are pretty much the #1 Nvidia reseller. Solid cards and top notch customer service. It's all you really need.

Back
Top Bottom