Trying to build a better deal than Dell Outlet

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as I know Gateways are like Dells in the upgrade department.

Looks pretty much like the one in your first post.
All in all, not a bad deal

As far as I know Gateways are like Dells in the upgrade department.

Looks pretty much like the one in your first post.
All in all, not a bad deal

Dell is kind of infamous for using proprietary parts, custom shapes and the like that are difficult to fit in aftermarket configurations. I think I read somewhere that upgrading a CPU is next to impossible in some of these models, and I remember a few years back something about ATX pins from the PSU having a different pin out (looks like it fit, but turn it on and BAM- everything fried!).
I understand that all pre-built systems will be less modular than one from scractch, but from what I gather, Gateway is a bit more standardized in the parts they use than Dell. It also helps that Acer bought them, I think.

I just upgraded my Dell Vostro 200 from 2007.
New power supply, CPU, hard drive, optical drive.
Pretty much anything except the motherboard and case is up-gradable.

I would expect it to be the same for Gateway.

Newer Dells actually use off the shelf (size-wise) parts. IOW the mobos are standard mATX (just customized for Dell), as are the cases. this does not include small form factor or slim computers.

Newer Dells actually use off the shelf (size-wise) parts. IOW the mobos are standard mATX (just customized for Dell), as are the cases. this does not include small form factor or slim computers.

Some of the odd layouts they use on motherboards can still be problematic for gpu upgrades depending on the size of the card you are installing.

That may be true, but I have definitely heard more stories about folks having trouble upgrading components in Dell machines. CPU cooling systems bolted down and not allowing room or mount options for off-the-shelf coolers, ATX-looking connectors with swapped pins (problem for both PSU and Mobo upgrades), etc. Could also be that Dell is one of the more popular and affordable pre-built computers and all prebuilts suffer from this from time to time, though. Maybe we just hear more about it with Dell because that's what people have? ::shrug::

Just seems like Gateway isn't in the business of creating proprietary parts as much as Dell is, just judging by my un-scientific research. Maybe its just because they were bought by Acer, so I'm picturing all Acer standard components inside... dunno.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom