Trouble with RAM timings and frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phizzlestix

Baseband Member
Hello all its me again,

I finally sealed up my case after thorough wire management and fan setup so I moved into the next phase. As a disclaimer this stuff is all new too me I never adjusted anything in bios or overclocked anything ever.

here is my mobo, cpu and ram

MOBO
Newegg.com - ASUS SABERTOOTH 55i LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

CPU
Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor BX80605I5750

I had emailed Gskill about timings before my parts arrived and they said this

"Dear Customer

The memory settings are on the memory or packaging. Input those in BIOS, or enable XMP Profile, and the memory should operate smoothly.

If done manually, you will also need to set BCLK to 160, since your CPU only has a max memory multiplier of 10x (DDR3-1333 max). BCLK 160 will allow it to be DDR3-1600.

Thank you
GSKILL SUPPORT"

Soooooo I went into bios and I managed to get my BCLK to 160 the and switched my ram frequency to 1600 saved and exited. When I ran a random benchmark in windows it said my ram was 1333. I'm not sure if I missed something or if i'm doing something wrong. So far you guys have been great and sorry about all the questions but I do appreciate the time you guys have taken to answer all them.

thanks so much!

What heatsink are you using? The stock heatsink that came with the cpu? The memory controller, built into the cpu, may not be able to handle the heat at a BCLK 160 with the memory at 1600MHz. In which case it may be down-clocking the memory on it's own.

Can you tell me exactly what settings you changed and what you changed them to?

Can you post a few screenshots of:

And here's a guide on posting screenshots if you need it.
Screenshot Tutorial

hey slay,

I'm not using the stock heatsink I'm using

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7

I also have an extra fan on it so im running 2 120mm fans with it

I am going to go onto the new rig right now and get you the screen shots you requested. What I can tell you is I ran prime 95 with 160 BLCK and I was at a cool 42-45 celseus

As far as what I changed I changed my AI tweak option from auto to custom I changed BCLK from 120 to 160 and then changed ram frequency to 1600 I did not change any timings what so ever. Be back in a sec once I get the screenshots dude

I'm about to eat dinner and then hit the couch but I'll be back tomorrow if someone else doesn't step up 1st. I've already downloaded the manual to your mobo so I just need to see your screenshots. Please post a screen of all the CPU-Z tabs :D

wow im an idiot after looking at it for hours on end think I lost some common sense......am I right to assume that if my memory is dual channel (which it is) than I need to double the frequency that CPUz is showing? which means everything is right?!?! oh my lord what a great feeling lol

guess I just did my first successful overclock although a small one ;) gonna run prime 95 overnight just to see what happens all and all im loving my new rig! I saw some guides on bringing the BCLK to 200 for a 4.2 OC but it just seems a little high for my tastes, also was wondering what would happen if I changed the timing on my ram to 8 8 8 24 im just happy its running smoothly thanks everybody

Run Prime95 or LinX with HWMonitor running at the same time and then post your screenshot of HWMonitor.

Yes, your memory is already running at 1600MHz.

I would leave the memory timings were they are, more or less. You have them set to 9-9-9-24-130-1T right now and they should be set to 9-9-9-25-40-2T.

Lowering the timings really won't provide you with any noticeable difference. If you have the headroom to lower your timings then you have the headroom to raise your overclock into the 4GHz range. I'll be better prepared to advise you once I see your temperatures while stability testing.

Ok will do slay right now my Internet is down I'm posting from my iPhone waiting for a comcast tech as soon as it's up I'll post those screens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom