Trouble building my custom rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

megaerik00

Baseband Member
OK, here's what I got.

cpu
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail
MoBo
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
psu
Newegg.com - HIPER HPU-4K580-MS ATX12V v2.2 580W Power Supply 100 - 120V - Retail
vga
Newegg.com - EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail
ram
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

This is only the second computer I've built, so I'm still a noob. I hooked it all up, but it will not POST. The case fans spins, I see some LED's, but nothing on the board seems to work. I got both power cables connected to the board, but still no luck. I reconfigured some things, and this time the HSF gets just a little juice, every 5-6 seconds when I hear a feint click. Is my board shot, or am I doing something wrong...or both?

Ive never built a computer, but from what your saying im guessing your boards dead. Try to return it to newegg, just tell them it was DOA.

as baron said it's the psu, not enough juice....
Note: These cards require PCI-E x16 slots, they will not function in a x8 slot so for SLi you need dual x16 mainboard. Finally 500W minimum for PSU and 600W+ is recommended. mentioned on a few uk retailers webbies

I dont think its the psu, on the grounds that the Hiper psu's are meant to be pretty good!? plus normally even if the gpu doesnt have enough power it will still boot into windows, it wouldnt normally just not work like that? hmmmm maybe im wrong here but this is just what i think from what you've said.

I hope you get it sorted

Well I just tried a smaller card, the same thing happens. I forgot to mention that when I turn it on, it will only stay on for a few seconds. Sometimes it turns it self on after that. Is my psu blown or something?

Maybe try and see if your cpu fan is installed properly, and that the cpu is not over heating and shutting the pc down.

Um hello. Please do some research before you make statements on an issue such as PSU. Actually an 8800GTX will run on a FSP 400w. It has been tested. Not that you should run it on a 400w as there are other things in your system but that Hiper is PLENTY enough power.

He does not need more watts in the system unless hes running crazy amount of extra add-ons like 5 Optical drives and craploads of lights. That Hiper is a very good one for the money. You may however have got something bad. Try the PSU in another PC to see if this is the problem.

Try booting the pc up out of the case, just put it on the anti static bag that the mobo came with. It could be a riser put in the wrong spot and that mobo just shorting out. Don't hook anything up to just CPU,RAM, and you GFX card. If it doesn't post or you don't get to the BIOS then i would say it's the motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom