Took in the great advice on this forum - How does this revised build look? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 01-16-2007, 07:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Took in the great advice on this forum - How does this revised build look?

After posting a bunch of topics on this forum and receiving some great advice (especially from TriEclipse on PSU and cooling), I revised my build (and saved over $500 in the process).

So what do all of you think? This is going to be the last PC I buy for 3-4 yrs so I wanted to go with the best video card I could afford and hopefully not have to worry about it.

Case: Thermaltake Armor Aluminum Full Tower
PSU: Antec True Power Trio TP3-550 ATX12V 550W
Mobo: NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Mobo
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
Memory: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
HD: 2 X Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
After Market Cooling: Thermaltake Silent 775 CPU Cooler With Heatpipe Cooling Technology for Intel LGA775 Processors
Sound Card: Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
SAMSUNG 18 X SuperMulti Dual Layer DVD Burner with LightScribe
SONY Black 16X IDE DVD-ROM Drive

Old 01-16-2007, 07:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via AIM to Jumping_Bean514

Well heres the thing. You got a 680i motherboard, the only reason to justify the price of this motherboard is that you can SLI with it. But, you have a 8800GTX and that power supply you have selected cannot support SLI 8800GTXs. So what the point of getting that motherboard since you can't SLI without either getting two different GPU's or buy a new power supply? I recommend the Asus P5W deluxe because it has built in wifi and isn't as buggy as the 680i. Or you should get a certified SLI power supply and keep the 680i. If you don't do one of those things then you'r wasting money.

Old 01-16-2007, 07:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

yeah, I know its a bit overkill for the mobo, but I am buying this through ABS (I KNOW, I should be building it myself but I just had my first child so I have very little time at the moment but need the computer). My only two options were the 680i or an ASUS P5N32 SLI Deluxe.

I was able to negotiate the 680i mobo upgrade for a measley 7 bucks over the ASUS.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

If those are your only options, then go ahead and get the 680i. Plus, I'd be willing to bet that with 54 Amps, the Antec True Power Trio 550W could support Dual 8800GTXs.

If you were building your own, then I would also suggest the ASUS P5B Deluxe, but seeing as you have very limited options...
Closed Thread