The Time Has Come! gamin pc rig! - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 02:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to SirCyber
Default Re: The Time Has Come! gamin pc rig!

happy birthday! good build muffin man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak213
Knowledge is power. Power is nothing if it is not shared.
Old 11-27-2009, 02:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Equator Gringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcirtap813 View Post
i agree 100%!! i love his build it is exactly what iw as looking for, ima c if im better off with his build or a prebuild with meh money. but definetely the best build so far for my money.

THNXS muffin man!
You are always better off building it yourself with the right parts. The perks of doing that is you know what you are getting, you get better and more reliable parts for a much lesser price, and you gain experience and accomplishment from building it yourself, which is extremely easy once you give it a go

PII 940 :: 5870 :: Rage powered
Old 11-27-2009, 02:32 PM   #13 (permalink)

Just one thing. The i7 860 uses the 1156 socket with dual channel and the i7 920 uses the 1336 socket with triple channel. The socket 1336 is more future proof. Don't get me wrong, the i7 860 is a great cpu, just making sure you know differences between the two cpus.

ASUS P5P77D :: INTEL i5 750@3.6 GHz :: Asus HD4890 :: 4GB Gskill Ripjaw 1600MHz CL7 :: WD Black 1TB :: SSD OCZ Vertex2 60GB :: Corsair 750TX :: LG L204WT :: Windows 7 x64

<<<<<<<<<< If you think I've been helpful in anyway rep me :p
Old 11-27-2009, 03:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
muffin enthusiast

thx peeps. jus trying to help ya out.

@ Ste; thx for those additonal psu links, some more options for him. i know one of those would work fine too, i just included the corsair 750w just to safely accommodate any possible future expansions like if he'll want an additional gfx card in xfire, additonal hdd's/optical drives, maybe some OCing too, and then just to get some headroom. plus, it fit into the budget nicely
Old 11-27-2009, 05:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
I don't overclock

1 for muffin
0 for clown

Quote:
HMM... i just now looked over the build, i didnt really like it because total, its only like 950$? or around that. thats like almost 90$ still to spend. i wanna use every penny, and i really like the graphics card tho. the processor was,,, ehhh. i prefer i7 or sumthin else. the case i dont mind so much so its pretty cheap 40$ off.. ill take it i guess, but overall i didnt like it. i want to spend all my money and get the best performance. new rig?
here is my reasoning....

I chose i5 750 + aftermarket cooler because it seems like you are only using this rig for gaming, browsing and homework stuff.

which then 4 thread + higher clock speed should be better than the i7 860 with 8 threads +slower clock speed

I just realized my build didn't have operating system either...
throw in the operating system and that $90 would be gone

case, I know you said you don't care 'bout looks in your first post
but you gotta excuse me here
because I am a die hard Lian-Li fanboy, I am going to market their case any chance I get
Old 11-27-2009, 11:03 PM   #16 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin Man View Post
thx peeps. jus trying to help ya out.

@ Ste; thx for those additonal psu links, some more options for him. i know one of those would work fine too, i just included the corsair 750w just to safely accommodate any possible future expansions like if he'll want an additional gfx card in xfire, additonal hdd's/optical drives, maybe some OCing too, and then just to get some headroom. plus, it fit into the budget nicely

yeah muffin, i thought the same thing when i saw the other power supplys. i thought i culd prolly use the 600w or so, by y not pay a lil extra and b set for the future when i do upgrade. because then the 600w probably culdnt handle the new upgrade, then i new to buy a new powersupply too..

one more thing, when farinha said : Just one thing. The i7 860 uses the 1156 socket with dual channel and the i7 920 uses the 1336 socket with triple channel. The socket 1336 is more future proof. Don't get me wrong, the i7 860 is a great cpu, just making sure you know differences between the two cpus.

what does that really mean? im sorry but i didnt get the channel things and stuff... can some one explain it to me a little better?

thanks
Old 11-27-2009, 11:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
muffin enthusiast

just stating a difference between the i7 860 and i7 920.

the i7 860 has a dual channel memory controller, so preferably youd want to run ram sticks in sets of 2. (like 2x1gig, 2x2gig, 4x2gig)

the i7 920 has a triple channel memory controller, so preferably youd want to run ram sticks in sets of 3. (like 3x1gig, 3x2gig, 3x4gig)
Old 11-27-2009, 11:35 PM   #18 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
just stating a difference between the i7 860 and i7 920.

the i7 860 has a dual channel memory controller, so preferably youd want to run ram sticks in sets of 2. (like 2x1gig, 2x2gig, 4x2gig)

the i7 920 has a triple channel memory controller, so preferably youd want to run ram sticks in sets of 3. (like 3x1gig, 3x2gig, 3x4gig)
what if you run like a double on the 920? or vice versa? what would b the difference?
Old 11-28-2009, 08:47 AM   #19 (permalink)
muffin enthusiast

thats why i said "preferably" though.

for the i7 860, you could use a tri-channel set, but it wouldnt run in tri-channel, and im sure it wouldnt run in dual channel either.

the i7 920, i think that if you have ram in sets of two, they will just run in dual channel instead of tri-channel.

either way, in real world applications including gaming, theres little difference that youre gonna see between them.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:23 PM   #20 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
thats why i said "preferably" though.

for the i7 860, you could use a tri-channel set, but it wouldnt run in tri-channel, and im sure it wouldnt run in dual channel either.

the i7 920, i think that if you have ram in sets of two, they will just run in dual channel instead of tri-channel.

either way, in real world applications including gaming, theres little difference that youre gonna see between them.
kk i think i understand it better now, thanks.
one more thing muffin man, ur AWSUM! lol i just wanna thank you so much for giving me my comp build, i just now ordered and it will b here in "3" business day, so it will b here by like wednesday cuz its the weekend now. thank you sooo much, ill write back when it gets here and after i build it. xDDD caaaannnt waaaaiiiitt!!

Closed Thread