time to build a new machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

realmike15

Baseband Member
in my sig is my current system, not too bad for 2 years old, but i'm ready to upgrade and make this my recording DAW. i'd like to build a reasonable gaming PC, i'd like to take the dive into PCI-E and dual cores to prepare for the new games coming out.

it's probably been over a year since i've kept up on hardware, so that's why i'm posting here to get any ideas.

how about this for my CPU? are the windsors good chips?

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Windsor 2.2GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103747

are DFI still good Mobos? is there another brand i should consider, i remember hearing Gigabyte were real solid boards.

what brand RAM should i consider, i'm not really looking to spend a ton of money for good OCing RAM just reliable stuff, i do however want 2 gigs.

any suggestions on my graphics card, this is probably the only peice i will consider going $400 into.

will the new SATA 300 be backwards compatible with my SATA150 stuff?

my sound card is going right over to my gaming machine, recording DAWs prefer professional quality recording PCI cards, not Sound Blaster.

any thoughts are really appreciated, and i would really prefer keeping prices for everything except the RAM and video card below or around $200.

the cheaper the better, but thats pretty much my breaking piont for most of the components. i'm gonna start reading up on Tom's Hardware, thanks in advance for any help.

*edit* also i was going to consider a Lian Li for my new case. i remember reading some very good things about their cases, definitely a full tower for better ventilation, and hopefully around $200 for one.

What is your budget?

Intel Conroe E6400 - 218$ Intel holds the spot for the fastest CPU right now.
ASUS P5B Deluxe - 200$ Asus is a great brand for motherboards.
2 GB Dominator 800MHz RAM - 300$ Good overclocking.
8800GTS - 400$ Eats pretty much any game you throw at it.
Case (Lian Li) - 100-200$

That should be about 1,300$ give or take a little, and will build you a pretty decent computer.

Dante_Caligari said:
What is your budget?

Intel Conroe E6400 - 218$ Intel holds the spot for the fastest CPU right now.
ASUS P5B Deluxe - 200$ Asus is a great brand for motherboards.
2 GB Dominator 800MHz RAM - 300$ Good overclocking.
8800GTS - 400$ Eats pretty much any game you throw at it.
Case (Lian Li) - 100-200$

That should be about 1,300$ give or take a little, and will build you a pretty decent computer.

thanks thats exactly the kind of info i was looking for. what i said above was i was expecting to pay $200 or under for most hardware except the video card and RAM.

is intel faster even for gaming? it used to be AMD was better performance for gaming, i'm wondering about benchmarks that only contain gaming.
also i was saying above, i dont really need OCing RAM, i just want stable quality stuff. i doubt i will OC much, if at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom