a three hundred dollar paperweight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey nagasama couldn't you of installed a pci graphics card and reflashed your 4870 while using the pci display? Because when i flashed my x1800gto2 to an x1800xt bios i was reading up on it, used winflash also. And basically the tutorial mentioned if you screwed up you could just boot from a pci card and try it over again.

yes i could have, if i had a pci card. i have a few old AGP cards...but no pci.
the 8800 pcie worked okay, it was just a PITA to get them both in the case simultaneously. i had to move my hard drives, which i will have to do if i decide to run another 4870 (unless i get a bigger case).
the main problem i was having was not getting the cards to work together, it was getting the 4870 to take the bios flash. and i am assuming here that the 1gb bios is different, because what i am guessing was the 512 bios that i downloaded from techpowerup never worked.

WALL OF TEXT CRITS YOU FOR OVER 9000.

And this is why i dont screw with bios flashing. Also, the easiest way to fix the fan speed is to remove the fan and apply a thick coating of waterblock :)

I seem to remember some people in some thread trying to argue that GPU Bios flashing was just as safe as using a program to adjust fan speed..

Hrmmm, very interesting..

Sorry dude, you should have never even thought of flashing, there are so many programs to adjust fan speed without the risk of bricking your card.

I do feel for you though, at least there is something to be learned from this, though it may be painful.

woo yeah it was painful. but at least it works fine now, which is a relief. im EXTREMELY lucky that
a) i made a backup of the original bios, without which i would have totally been ****ed.
b) didn't permanently damage my card...lol an 800 shader pencil-holder.
i would (obviously) disagree with it being safe, although, i did flash my old hd2900 pro and it worked fine.
wont be trying it anymore...that is unless they make a bios that turns my hd4870 into an hd4870 x2. lol...i'd probably give it a shot then....

I read that whole thing, while shaking my head going "why didn't you just use Rivatuner?" :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom