Thoughts on (Possible) set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-Well ill look into the Rifle, **** of a lot cheaper than that electro thing. I havn't heard anything about ATI, I've just heard great reviews about Tri-Sli 9800GTXs and Quad-Sli 9800GX2.
-Then the new GTX280 just came out and apparently has some crazy chip that is double the amount of processors inside.
-But 650.00 dollors is way to much for a graphics card.

-One 9800 GX2 is about 440 dollars, I figured if I get a GX2 know, then in a month or two the price will drop again. So then I could pick up another one, making Quad SLI.
-The reason for getting the 790i motherboard is because I wouldn't have to upgrade for any reason in the future. If I get a motherboard that only supports DDR2 then im stuck and can't upgrade. I would have to purchase a hole new motherboard and ram too. So since im upgrading right know shouldn't I get the motherboard with the newer tech?

-I can get 2 Gigs of DDR3 for the motherboard for around 200-300 bucks. But the nicer ram is around 500-700....but I could also upgrade the ram later after the prices drop.

I haven't heard anything about OS's yet. Vista is amazing. I personally spent money upgrading Vista to Ultimate because it runs so nicely and it's really fast. I highly recommend Vista since XP is too Fisher-Price with the blue toolbars.

Windowsblind is a nice program for XP. I just have a Vista style skin...looks like vista and runs faster that vista. lol

^ i have that but don't use it.

The ati 4870 is more powerful then the 9800gx2, quad sli is a waste as the performance increase in minimal. Vedub had it for a while and he says the same. Im telling you, the 4870 is the way to go, it is almost as power ful as a 280 for half the price and you could get another one later on if you wanted. DDR3 isn't much faster then ddr2 800, and it is very exspensive for good kits. In about a year to 2 years it will come down in price and start to become the norm so you will be at the time to upgrade anyway. Even if you don't, you ram will still be perfectly fine.

wow AMD/ ATI would be a lot cheaper build. Havn't researched or heard much noise about it.

AMD Phenom X4 9850 Quad Core / Visiontek Radeon HD 3870 X2 1 Gig vs. Intel Q6600 Quad Core / 9800 GX2 1 Gig.

thoughts?

amd's quads aren't as good as intels (not by far) and the 3870x2 isn't as powerful as a gx2, not really even close.

Why are you so set on a gx2 when you can get quite a more powerful card for cheaper?

intels quads aren't as good as intels (not by far) and the 3870x2 isn't as powerful as a gx2, not really even close.

Why are you so set on a gx2 when you can get quite a more powerful card for cheaper?

lol whos quads? im not so set. The ATI 4870 is a 512MB card, while the ATI X2 is a 1 Gig card. Shouldn't the X2 be faster? therefore be faster than the Geforce 9800 gx2. You said the 4870 is faster than the gx2?

I'm sorry but why are you arguing over what a 2000 post member has to say?

Get the 4870!

The difference between 512 and 1 gig on video card ram makes no difference until really high resolutions, which the 4870 already performs great at.

Also as mentioned just get ddr2 2x2gig and upgrade latter if you want to ddr3.

Also my opinion on the OS is to get Home premium if you want 64 bit (which would be required for 4 gig of ram) unless you really want to get Ultimate which isn't really different and just uses more resources without tweaking.

Edit: On the x2 matter, the 3870x2 is ATI's previous top card, basically its the same as the 9800x2 (but less powerful) in which it is 2 cards together. With the release of the new cards (4850,4870) both have shown in benchmarks that they are far better than the 3870 and the 3870x2.

Get the 4870 and if you want latter down the line get a second one and crossfire it.

The ATI 4870 is a 512MB card, while the ATI X2 is a 1 Gig card. Shouldn't the X2 be faster? therefore be faster than the Geforce 9800 gx2. You said the 4870 is faster than the gx2?

sorry, you edited and it doesn't update my usercp.

like redmoon said, the mem of a card is more important for higher res's. Here is the common cards from best to worst

9800gx2
9800gtx+
9800gtx
3870x2.

Now do you see the irony of what you are saying? The way to go is the 4870 at the moment as it is less then half the price of a 280 and is only about 10% slower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom