Thoughts on new build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

khan008

In Runtime
Keep this short, thinking of upgrading, especially due to x-plane being released soon (I HOPE).

Few things to note, I have a monitor, peripherals and all that jazz, just need the main computer, here is what I had in mind;

Gainward GeForce GTX 580
Intel Core i7-2600k
Gigabyte Z68X-UD4 MotherBoard
Corsair HX 750W ATX Modular PSU
Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3
Cooler Master Storm Enforcer Case
Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB 6Gb/s HDD
Samsung SH-B123L/RSBP BluRay
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB Sata-3 SSD

That comes to a total of £1485.86, which too be honest is fairly high.

If you have any suggestions to cut costs/improve the build, please tell me! I plan on keeping this build for a while.

Also! I want to know if there is a massive difference in performance between the i7 990x and the 2600k, and which one is 'more future proof'. The 990x costs almost 3 times as much :omg:

Finally! As far as sandy bridge motherboards go, should I get the z68 or p67?

Thanks!

The only extra feature the Z68 has over the P67 that I would be interested in is the Smart Response Technology and I'm still not sold on it yet. While I'm sure it will help with a new freshly installed OS, but overtime the performance may not be so great as the stored cache gets bigger and bigger.

GIGABYTE Z68 series motherboards are equipped with the much anticipated Intel Smart Response Technology, allowing users to experience system performance similar to SSD only systems. Intel Smart Response technology works by using intelligent block-based caching of frequently used applications to improve system performance and responsiveness. In fact, GIGABYTE Z68 motherboards with Intel Smart Response Technology are able to outperform hybrid drive systems by more than 2X (PC Mark Vantage) and HDD-only systems by as much as 4X. (4X+ Faster than HDD-only system in PC Mark Vantage (HDD Score).

I wouldn't buy the Corsair Vengeance Memory, the heatspreaders are tall and can interfere with a lot of heatsinks plus there cheaply made. I bought a set of them and have since replaced them with a set of G.Skill modules.

The 990X is a better performer than the 2600K, but it's not that much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom