thoughts on MSI P6N SLI 650i

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nagasama

disgruntled ex-moderator
hey all...
i have a line on a killer deal for this mobo:
it is not the platinum, it is the one with blue chipset heatsinks that are fanless. like this:
MSI Computer Corp. - Product

...like 50 bucks (maybe, likely less than that)...and it's NEW. before anyone says it, yes, i know EVGA has one on newegg for 50 bucks after rebate. thats about 50 bucks too much for me to give EVGA.

i'm thinking e8400 or q9300 (prolly the 8400)? hmmmmm. it seems like a pretty awesome board, and if i am getting that kind of deal on it, i'll buy it and just sit on it for a bit until the 45nm intels drop a little more in price.
anyone have thoughts/opinions on this mobo?
anyone own it?
the pcie slots run x 8 when in SLI.
is that going to make a difference in performance when i get my 2nd gts 512?

hrrrmmmmm...i'm reading mixed reviews about the slots running x 8 in SLI vs x 16....
some say it will have a pretty big hit at my resolution (1920 x 1200)...
especially the g92 cards. crap, now i'm indecisive.

Newegg has an asus 780i board open box for 150.

Ill be picking one of those up hopefully by monday.

Only thing is it doesn't come with any of the accessories...

I have the Platinum version of this board and it is not a good overclocker from the bios side. However, MSI has a "no brainer" desktop program called Dual Core Center which auto adjusts FSB and voltages ect. which is actully very good. Unfortunately you have to reset it everytime you reboot your system. My board is very stable and overall a 8 out of 10 mobo. I would go with an EVGa 750i if you can pop the bucks.

Well thats because 750i's are kind of bad with Clocking Quad's

but I think you should be fine with the e8400

I have the Platinum version of this board and it is not a good overclocker from the bios side. However, MSI has a "no brainer" desktop program called Dual Core Center which auto adjusts FSB and voltages ect. which is actully very good. Unfortunately you have to reset it everytime you reboot your system. My board is very stable and overall a 8 out of 10 mobo. I would go with an EVGa 750i if you can pop the bucks.

EVGA would have to give it to me. and then, i'd probably sell it on ebay. i wont buy anything made by them again, ever. long story.
but anyways, thanks for the info on the mobo.

EVGA would have to give it to me. and then, i'd probably sell it on ebay. i wont buy anything made by them again, ever. long story.
but anyways, thanks for the info on the mobo.

Yikes! I have nothing but Evga Products and MSI. Never had a problem with either. EVGa support is good. So what's the deal?

lol ok long story short:
EVGA support is a joke, dude. buy a 590sli and try to get support for it. when i bought my 590 mobo, they didn't even know what half the features did, let alone how to troubleshoot any issues i had.
they told me that several of the features of my mobo were, well..."just written on the box, we haven't really been able to make that work yet...and it's not important anyway."
so, after that fiasco, which totally ****ed me off, they have the nerve to offer exactly ZERO phenom support on a mobo that was IMO (IS, actually) one of the highest end x2 nvidia motherboards made. while those of us who actually bought it thinking that evga would take care of it's loyal customers sat there and wished we had bought asus or one of the other companies that have phenom bios'.
not only that, but their email correspondence with me was rude and almost like they were bothered that i dared to voice my frustration at this turn of events.
THEN...to rub salt in my wounds and make me hate them even more, they actually offered that 680i upgrade deal. which i just couldn't believe, as they were leaving their AMD users hanging in the wind. when i asked them if i would get an upgrade to the 780a when it came out, since they offer no more support for their BEST AMD BOARD...they stopped replying. chicken sh**s.
so, will i buy evga products? NO ****IN WAY. i won't even recommend them. if my wife would let me, i'd give the evga sh*t (lol no offense v-dogg i know you need it) i have to vern and use all XFX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom