For those considering the new Sandy Bridge chip: READ THIS!!! - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 06:55 PM   #21 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: For those considering the new Sandy Bridge chip: READ THIS!!!

I don't think this is such a big deal for me. If it starts failing after a year or two I'll just RMA (after the mad rush that's probably happening now), if not this won't even matter. Meh. Still, as mentioned previously, it's a pretty ****ty thing for intel to have missed this. I'm betting at least one person is now newly out of a job

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 01-31-2011, 07:01 PM   #22 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaymate View Post
Personally, I'm thinking this was probably found once the enthusiast market started overclocking the crap out of them. And Intel maybe assuming a "worst case scenario" posture now so that they can downplay the issue to their stockholders. If the failure rate is 10% but they've projected 15% then they look "better" than they would if they initially said 10% and it did reach 10% or higher.

And I'm wondering if maybe this is part of the reason why these cpu's hate raising the BCLK.
These CPUs hate bclk cause everything is tied to it. PCI clocks and everything. That is why we have the K class CPUs.

This little recall won't effect me at all. Just feel sorry for the poor *******s that it will effect. (my board is being replaced before I even bought it)

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:02 PM   #23 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via AIM to Vizier Send a message via MSN to Vizier Send a message via Yahoo to Vizier

Even if it were only a 10% failure rate, they still sold around 300 million chips, so you'd see nearly 30 million chips failing over time. That's still not a small number to scoff at in the grand scheme of things. Of course, it could have been far worse in the sense that Intel easily could have just brushed this thing under the rug and claim ignorance when problems crop up, so kudos to them to have the guts to man up to their faults.

Even so, I expect this to damage Intel's reputation and sales for a while now.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:32 PM   #24 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

It'll damage their sales until the z67 boards come out, and when they can start producing the h67/p67 boards again. overall, with their increase in sales in q4 last year, they're predicting a billion dollars in loss, but I think that's a major overestimate, and they'll be able to come back on top when they get this figured out. and anyway AMD still hasn't released their new chips and the hexa cores lag behind the i5/i7 and SB offerings. so until they can really step up their game this will only be a slight blip on their fiscal 2011 year.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:42 PM   #25 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaymate View Post
Personally, I'm thinking this was probably found once the enthusiast market started overclocking the crap out of them. And Intel maybe assuming a "worst case scenario" posture now so that they can downplay the issue to their stockholders. If the failure rate is 10% but they've projected 15% then they look "better" than they would if they initially said 10% and it did reach 10% or higher.

And I'm wondering if maybe this is part of the reason why these cpu's hate raising the BCLK.
I don't think this was overclocking related at all, it's a flaw with what used to be the southbridge.

Unexpected problems like this are probably why Intel launches it's consumer parts before their server counterparts.

AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition : Asus M4A89GTD PRO : Corsair 550VX
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4x2gb DDR3 1600 : MSI Geforce GTX 770 2gb : Antec 300
OCZ Agility 2 60gb SSD (OS) : SanDisk Ultra 120gb SSD (Apps) : Crucial M500 240gb (Steam) : Win 8.1 Pro 64bit
2x Samsung 2494LW & 1x Dell U2312HM Eyefinity

Lenovo ThinkPad X220 : Core i5 2410M : 12.5" 1366x768 IPS LED display : Intel 320 Series 120gb SSD

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 stock 4.3 : Nexus 7 2 stock 4.4

Old 01-31-2011, 09:14 PM   #26 (permalink)
Lord Techie

This is going to be costly for someone in the end.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:30 PM   #27 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via AIM to Vizier Send a message via MSN to Vizier Send a message via Yahoo to Vizier

It already is: Intel is estimating about 1 billion dollars in damage costs.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:42 AM   #28 (permalink)
True Techie

Well I guess this makes me feel a little better since I got an i7 950 back in November for my first build but hadn't even heard of the Sandy Bridge CPUs until much more recently. I was kind of second-guessing myself that I should have done a bit more research and maybe waited for the them to come out. Heck I was even thinking about blowing some money and building a second desktop but this will make me wait on that. In a lot of ways that is a good thing. In April, if I start to save now, I could definitely have enough for a second high-end build. I guess I am just kind of drooling over the speeds they are putting out according to a lot of the tests.

As for the recall itself I have to give credit to Intel as many have already said. They could have probably gotten away with sweeping it under the rug and claiming ignorance but they did the right thing. Plus if they had done that I'm sure there would be whispers that they did in-fact know the whole time and just tried to cover it up. I think in the long-run they definitely made the right move obviously. I know they will take a hit but you have to know they can't allow anything even remotely similar to happen with these chips upon re-release in April so they'll definitely be fixed.

I guess that is just my two cents from the newish techie.

Cooler Master HAF X RC-942 - Intel Core i7 950 - ASUS Sabertooth X58 - G.Skill Ripjaws 6GB RAM - Cooler Master Hyper N520 - ATI HD5870 - XFX P1-650X-CAG9 - Western Digital Black Caviar 1TB HDD - RevoDrive 240GB SSD - Windows 7 64-bit

Cooler Master HAF X RC-942 - Intel Core i7 Sandy Bridge 2600K - ASUS Sabertooth P67 - G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB RAM - Cooler Master V8 - AMD HD6970 (Crossfire) - CORSAIR Professional Series HX850 PSU - Western Digital Black Caviar (1.5TB) & Green Caviar (2TB) HDD - OCZ Agility 2 160GB SSD - Windows 7 64-bit
Closed Thread