Thinking of switching to crossfire from sli

Status
Not open for further replies.

veedubfreak

Golden Master
God i hate this adiction. I think im going to sell my GT cards on ebay as they are going for close to 300 bucks and sometimes over that right now and pick up either an abit ip35 or gigabyte ds3p and go crossfire 3870. Someone talk me out of it.

Personally, I would go for an X38 board for an intel/crossfire setup. The second X16 slot on the P35 boards only runs at 4X, so that may be a bottleneck.

lol. thinking is bad vee! don't cross over to the dark side!!!
even though there could be a performance gain.
Could be.
crossfire scales way better but the GT's so far seem to run better.
might just even out.
also means youll have to switch mobo's. Sounds like a big pain IMHO.
But it would rock to see a performance increase, though I doubt it will be enough of an increase to justify spending money on a new MOBO. Unless you get it cheap. ^^

I couldn't talk myself out of a wet paper bag lol thats all I could come up with. Crossfire 3870 would still kick butt.

You're performance is already significantly better than anyone here. Do you really think going crossfire will give you enough of a performance increase that will be either:
a) visibly different
b) enough to be collateral for the price difference, you'll be spending a lot of extra $$$ for this
c) ultimately worth it?

edit:
8800GT SLI vs. HD 3870 Crossfire Results - Hardware Discussions - FiringSquad Forums
Check that. The SLI vs Crossfire charts are very close. Only COJ is a big difference. In the other games SLI won. It seems to be very back and forth. Either SLI wins significantly, Crossfire wins significantly, or it's within a 5 fps difference. I'd say stick with what you have and save yourself not only the money, but the hassle. Otherwise you'll keep getting caught up in pushing out that extra 1-5fps by buying the latest products that aren't normally worth the extra $$$ you dealt for it.

edit:
Also, the 9800's are around the corner. Do you really want to spend the money to buy Crossfire 3870's to turn around in about 2-3 months and purchase 1-2 9800GTX's or whatever they will be?

im going for the 3870's in crossfire myself i cant wait for it, alltho i dotn see a point in changing over if you allready have the 8800gt sli, alltho you probably will oc more with the x38 mobo.

Ya, the gigabyte board is hot. But for some reason i was thinking the ip35 was also crossfire. Meh...must...stop...buying stuff.

Ya, the gigabyte board is hot. But for some reason i was thinking the ip35 was also crossfire. Meh...must...stop...buying stuff.

I think the IP35 Pro supports Crossfire, but the second slot runs in 4x.

Wait for the Nehalem/DDR3. I don't think switching to Crossfire will get you a huge difference in performance. Quit for now, while you're ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom