Thinking of buying this HP, what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After going over this build with my buddy that know quite a bit about computers, he said he likes everything about this build except one thing... WHERE IS THE CD/DVD DRIVE!?! LOL

I couldnt believe it... I plan on ordering this over the weekend or on Monday just incase we can think of anything else I will need.

I will go ahead and add this to the list of items: SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner LightScribe Support - OEM

I also added the MX-2 and a 3500 joule 8 plug surge protector for $15

So as of now, including what has been suggested in this thread, plus the DVD drive, surge protector, a USB HUB for my old laptop (for my GF) which was $7, plus I ended up getting talked into getting 8GB of RAM instead of the 4GB and a 1 year warranty on everything that I could add a warranty to:

Sub Total:___1,222.85
Warranty:______60.96
Shipping:_______33.52
Total:_______1,317.33
- MIR:________(45.00)
Grand Total:__1,272.33

I will keep everyone updated with the progress and pics.

Thanks again everyone, its nice to see a forum that actually GIVES advice. Great forum y'all got here!

Well thank you for the compliments. I totally agree with you about the community here. I have met some of the smartest, most helpful people on these boards. Make sure you come back, and you HAVE to post pics once you have it built. One more thing if you are not sure about something PLEASE post do not guess. Someone is always lurking here to help people through the build process.

Also get zip ties :)

Couple quick questions (thank you again for bearing with me)

1. A buddy told me to double check on the heatsink to make sure its compatible with the PSU (I guess the heatsink is that $27 cooler thing, and if so, it says its compatible for AMD 939 and 940, but nothing in the 950+'s)

2. Another buddy that knows a lot more the I about computers, is telling me running Windows 7 64 bit with only 4GB of RAM is underutalizing it by quite a bit, and he would recommend bumping it up to 8GB which would run me another 90 bux... He isn't saying the 4GB isnt enough for gaming, but for the operating system... is this true to a degree?

3. IF I dont need the extra 4GB of RAM I would probably put that money towards a 32GB SSD and install my OS and game on it (hopefully it'll be enough as my game runs about 10-12 GB alone) OCZ Onyx OCZSSD2-1ONX32G 2.5" 32GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
ALso, this SSD shows it as 2.5" but my case only holds 5.25" and 3.5", so does that mean I can't use 2.5" SSD's? (which seems like the majority of the smaller ones)

Thanks again, y'all are awesome :)

1. A buddy told me to double check on the heatsink to make sure its compatible with the PSU (I guess the heatsink is that $27 cooler thing, and if so, it says its compatible for AMD 939 and 940, but nothing in the 950+'s)

Via Xigatech's site:
"LGA1156 push-pin, K8 / AM2 / AM2+ / AM3 tool-less clip"

2. Another buddy that knows a lot more the I about computers, is telling me running Windows 7 64 bit with only 4GB of RAM is underutalizing it by quite a bit, and he would recommend bumping it up to 8GB which would run me another 90 bux... He isn't saying the 4GB isnt enough for gaming, but for the operating system... is this true to a degree?

bsmeters.gif

Complete BS. 4GB is fine for most anything. You would only need more if you were involved in memory-intensive stuff, like huge Photoshop images or video editing. I have 4GB and am running Win7, Firefox, Folding on my CPU and GPU, running Steam, EVGA Precision, CoreTemp... a total of 80 processes. My memory is at 51%. If I go to game Folding is turned off and my memory still doesn't get anywhere near 100%, even playing BF:BC2.

3. IF I dont need the extra 4GB of RAM I would probably put that money towards a 32GB SSD and install my OS and game on it (hopefully it'll be enough as my game runs about 10-12 GB alone) OCZ Onyx OCZSSD2-1ONX32G 2.5" 32GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
ALso, this SSD shows it as 2.5" but my case only holds 5.25" and 3.5", so does that mean I can't use 2.5" SSD's? (which seems like the majority of the smaller ones)
Get something like this:
Newegg.com - SIIG SC-SA0H12-S1 3.5" to Dual 2.5" Drive Bay Adapter

32GB would be tight. You may just want to put Windows alone on it and put your games on a different drive.

Listen to the words of Trotter he speaks the truth nothing more nothing less ;)

Also dont get an SSD its not worth it at this point. 32GB is only going to fit your OS (especially if you have a game that is 10-12gb). Someone was saying on these boards that because of the way SSD works you want some open space on the drive. Unlike plater drives you do not want to fill it up all the way. Digging for where I read that will post once I find it.

Just to make sure I am reading this right, when I get the 5850, I will NOT need a seperate sound card too correct?

Also, and maybe I am answering my first questions with this statement, but the 5850 says it can connect sound with an HDMI out, and I believe the monitor's built-in speakers accepts a HDMI in, am I correct on this too?

The HDMI port will output sound with the ATi HDMI Sound driver, so if your monitor accepts a true HDMI input and has speakers it should work. Besides, almost all motherboards have integrated sound controllers so you only need a dedicated sound card if you're an audiophile who wants the best quality sound possible to hook up to a high quality speaker system.

OK guys well as of today, the rig is bought and will be shipped shortly. I now need to go pick out a keyboard, grab a Windows 7 Ultimate Operating System and I think I should be set (as I have a spare USB mouse).

So let the sitting and waiting begin!

Is there a reason why you want the Ultimate edition? I feel its a huge waste of $$ for the average consumer. Take a look at this chart before you decide to spend an extra 80.00

differencebetweenwindows7homepremiumprofessionalandultimate.png

These things happen !
I had a laptop that was once plunged into the bath and after weeks of drying out it somehow sprang back to lead a full life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom