Thinking to buy a new laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

vxdesigns

Solid State Member
Hi folks how is everyone today/tonight, i am good i hope everyone is had a good weekend. I already have a computer but recently i had an urge to get a laptop for various reasons which i will state soon.

I read a few laptop buyers guides and have general idea as to what laptops are and what are their uses and purposes. When searching around i came across only two types or categories or processors of laptops [1]Intel and [2]AMD. Now if we sub-categorize Intel based laptops there is Celeron, Pentium 3,4,M, Centrino, Centrino Duo Mobile. If we sub-categorize Amd we have Sempron, Athlon Xp, Athlon 64, Turion 64 etc. Are these different models of processors which came out at different times ? What's the difference between these ? Which one is better performance and price wise ? Are there any more types of laptop processors or just these ?

That will be it for this time. I will appreciate it if someone can explain to me in as much detail as possible regarding these questions so i have a general idea of what kind of laptop will fit my needs. Thanks in advance

Celerons/Semprons are basically gutted CPUs from their respective companies. The onboard cache is about 1/4 to 1/2 of the full fledge models.

Pentium 3 and Athlon XP are old models, well out of production. Steer clear unless you just want something that gives no performance.

Pentium 4 and Athlon 64 are coming to the end of their life cycles, but are still being produced. They, along with P3s and XPs are all desktop PCUs, thus needing more power and giving off more heat... bad for lappys.

Pentium M and Centrino are basically the same thing. Centrino is just bundles with certain chipsets involving wireless capability.

Turion is AMDs 64 bit mobile processor.

Core Duo is Intel's dual core CPU for laptops, Core Solo is the single core version. I'm not sure if they are 64 bit or not.

X2 is AMDs dual core CPUs, but they are meant for desktops (power/heat).

AMD is soon to bring out dual-core Turions, and Intel is soon to bring out Conroe and Merom (sp?), which are supposed to be giant-killers; they are supposed to come out in June and July, respectively.

CoreDuo is about the best mobile processor on the market according to most. The 64 bit Turions are right behind them, and the P-M and Centrinos are close thrids. Desktop CPU weild more processing power, but have big appetites (read short battery life) and have more heat to get rid of.

There are a couple of off-the-wall mobile CPUs out there, but don't worry about them. They are bargain basement material anymore, and are too slow.

Thx for the reply i will specify my needs as to what i want this laptop for. My main interest to get a laptop is to watch movies on it, also i want to be able to connect it to my tv and watch movies on my laptop on my tv. I also want to use this laptop for playing latest games, listen to music, run big applications like adobe photoshop,winamp,wmp,frontpage, do a lot of web-designing, also need a latest fast cd/dvd burner which can burn cd/dvd of all types/formats. I want a good high quality/performance laptop to do all above but for the cheapest cost available(as many people offcource) because i am on a tight budget i am looking for something below $1300 Canadian Dollars. If possible i am also looking for an option where i can pay for the laptop slowly on monthly bases without getting charged any interest/extra fees.

I would like to know what part to look for in a laptop which will let me connect my laptop to my tv and stream movies/videos at good speeds. Is it s-video port/jack or vga port/jack or something ?

Here are details of my ideal laptop

1.5 ghz + processor
4-6 usb ports
1-2 firmwire ports
512/1 gb ddr/ddr2 fast ram
80-100 gb fast harddrive
cd/dvd burner for all types of files/formats preferrable DVD±RW
good quality for audio and video
a good graphic card/accelerator for latest games
need wi-fi or latest wireless technology to use internet easily
15-17" good quality monitor/screen preferrable widescreen
be able to connect it to my tv and vise/versa to watch movies/videos etc at good streaming speed and good quality

Budget = $500-$1500 Canadian Dollars
What's in it for you = Great appreciation, warm tingly feeling of helping someone desperately in need, getting to find out whats latest in store/ on web nowadays

Thx for all the help in advance

for those specs, i'd recommend either the Dell Inspiron E1505 or the E1705, the biggest difference between the 2 is that the 1705 is a bit more expensive and it has a 17" screen. Both of these systems seem to have all of the spec you want

That laptop seems like it fits the bill nicely, but it may be over your budget just a little when you add in the bigger hard drive, wi-fi, longer battery (for movies), and a dvd burner. It's about $1480USD; $1650CAD.

Edit: Nevermind, the E1505 is fine I think, like jdhore said: pretty much the same but less expensive and a smaller screen.

Check pricegrabber.com.

Click on Computers, then Computer Systems, then Notebooks. Start choosing your options on the left to narrow the results.

That's how I found my daughter's laptop. Plug in your postal code... I'm not sure how well it works for Canada.

im going to have to go against dell
first of i just dont like dell they are overpriced(in most cases) and the only good thing is the support(which you will ****in need if you buy it)

now thats my opinion from owning one and from friends owning both their laptops and desktops^^ nobody jump on me about my opinion cause it wont change

now i suggest you go with Acer laptops
they are budget amazing laptops
ive never had a complaint from ONE person about them
im gonna go find a couple models for you to look into
but my advise is really to consider going with Acer
they build the best laptops right now for the price!
end of story :)

tehdigit said:
im going to have to go against dell
first of i just dont like dell they are overpriced(in most cases) and the only good thing is the support(which you will ****in need if you buy it)

now thats my opinion from owning one and from friends owning both their laptops and desktops^^ nobody jump on me about my opinion cause it wont change

now i suggest you go with Acer laptops
they are budget amazing laptops
ive never had a complaint from ONE person about them
im gonna go find a couple models for you to look into
but my advise is really to consider going with Acer
they build the best laptops right now for the price!
end of story :)

Ah! That's what it was. I knew I was forgetting a company there. Went through my list of brands and left out a few. The Dell advertises for what he needs to do, but by all means if there is an Acer (maybe even Asus?) that does it, I would go with them instead.

Edit: How about this Asus: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834220024

No, that third Acer tehdigit pointed to looks better actually. ^^

Ok i did alot of research as you nice people advised and came up with my first batch of notebooks i found to be good. Need your help deciding which one is a better buy

Here are my requirements

In a nutshell i will be using my laptop to watch movies,listen to music,planning on playing high graphics/quality previous,current and future games, run appz like photoshop,frontpage, burn dvds and cds at high fast/speed without leeching all of my system ram and cpu usage, want to connect my laptop to my tv to watch movies (with good quality/speed) from my notebook

1.5 ghz + processor
4-6 usb ports
1-2 firmwire ports
512/1 gb ddr/ddr2 fast ram
80-100 gb fast harddrive
cd/dvd burner for all types of files/formats preferrable DVD±RW
good quality for audio and video
a good graphic card/accelerator for latest games
need wi-fi or latest wireless technology to use internet easily
15-17" good quality monitor/screen preferrable widescreen
s-video
vga
dvi(preferred not necessity as long as theres s-video)

Budget = $500-$1500 Canadian Dollars

These are the notebooks/laptops i found to be good

ACER AS5672WLMi
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2180325&Tab=2&NoMapp=0

Gateway MX7515
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1741024&CatId=1904

Gateway 8510GZ
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1697070

Gateway MX6625
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1873384

Please state the reason for your selection. Thx for all the help in advance

P.S visionRAY and tehdigit how do u know the prices for the links you provided are in CAN dollars, i think i read on newegg itself that they dont ship or sell to people outside of USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom