Thinking about i7 Update..... Help with mobo selections

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yha... my q6600 has srved me well over the 3 yrs but the 680i inability to upgrade topped my "guess i should update" desicion...

Now for 980x to drop so i have to update to a mans chip.

the sabertooth is a nice board, i was going to pick one up my self when i was building my pc but they where sold out around here. Too bad ncix doesn't have options on the 6gb kits for g.skill

Okay, ncix has a 30 mir on the evga ftw, so can get it for about $252 after the mir.
The x58 sli 3 i can get for $200 after a $10 mir

Is having a 2nd pci-e x16 worth 50 bucks after rebate?

the sli 3 already has 2 x16 slots that will operate at full x16 speed when both are used. if you use all 3 x16 slots though, the bottom 2 will revert to x8 speed.

Well if you ever go SLI or Xfire, an x8 slot will probably limit your card (if you get anything decent anyway). So yeah, I'd always get a board with 2x x16 slots just to be safe. I wouldn't worry about the downgrade to x8 for the bottom two though, tri-anything is not worth it anyway IMO

Right now I don't think you'll see much of a difference between 2 @ X8 and 2 @ X16, maybe with the next gen of video cards. And the NB heatsink on the FTW looks like it might interfere with some cpu heatsinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom