Thinking about an HTPC....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heres my guide....take your ancient PC, add a 500GB HD, get a TV tuner, use MCE or XP with media applications...presto.

320 gig Maxtor 59.99
FRYS.com | MAXTOR

I have a couple of those and they work really well. Same exact shell as the seagates... wonder what else is the same.

This HTPC case had a $70 MIR last month making it an awesome deal...
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/Skusearch.hmx?scriteria=BA23776

They need to make a HD/Digital Cable decoder and I'd be quicker to build everything.

i know where to get 500gb, any HD's that are SATA cuz i recommend them all the time

i mean ones compatible with my system, aka EIDE

OH GOD, MAXTOR *hisses and hides under the desk* I swear if i see another maxtor drive before i die it'll be too soon. After replacing upwards of 100 maxtor drives working at a school district with dell computers, you couldnt pay me to use one of those hunks of crap.

kworld 115 is a good hdtv capture card... my amd x2 3600+ system in my sig is an htpc.

the kworld card can accept and capture OTA atsc signals plus it gets the free digital signals over your cable (clear qam). i got mine for about 75 bucks at fry's and couldn't be happier.

OH GOD, MAXTOR *hisses and hides under the desk* I swear if i see another maxtor drive before i die it'll be too soon. After replacing upwards of 100 maxtor drives working at a school district with dell computers, you couldnt pay me to use one of those hunks of crap.

I've had perfect reliability with mine so far.

I was just saying the 320gig was cheap comparitively to a 500gig.

I've had perfect reliability with mine so far.

I was just saying the 320gig was cheap comparitively to a 500gig.

Ya i can understand that. But when you had to deal with a failure rate of 75% or more, it tends to leave a bad taste in your mouth. Personally i think its worth the extra money for a seagate or WD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom