Thinking about building

Status
Not open for further replies.
i understand what you guys are saying now so i will be building something more like a multimedia computer because i think i just play games.....well the only games i play in games like Rainbow Six Vegas and madden 2009 and i probably do that like three times a month so it basically come down to a computer with very fast downloading...i hope that narrow things a little

You can have as many hard drives as there are ports on the motherboard for them. Probably your best bet if you need a lot of space is to put four or five hard drives in a RAID 5 array. Since it's within your budget, I would say go with stalin90's build above. I would make the following changes:

- Use this Newegg.com - XFX GX260NADBF GeForce GTX 260 Black Edition Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards instead of the 2 GTX 295s that he suggested. This should be easily sufficient for what you need, and getting one GTX 260 instead of 2 GTX 295s will save about $700.
- I would suggest this power supply: Newegg.com - Thermaltake W0131RU 850W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI NVIDIA SLI Certified
NVIDIA QUAD-SLI APPROVED 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies
. You don't need 1000W (in fact, you probably don't need the 850W, either), and this power supply is $70 cheaper after MIR.
- Get 4 of the Seagate Barracudea 7200.11 750GB hard drives, and put them in RAID 5. Even with the cost of 3 extra hard drives, the above changes will save about $500.

Also, you should know that after a point, spending more on the computer is not going to change downloading performance. (And that point is easily passed by any modern computer.) The bottleneck will be the speed of your network, not the speed of the computer.

it basically come down to a computer with very fast downloading

download speed MOSTLY* depends on your connection speed, it doesn't matter even if you have NASA-grade super computers. if you have dial up, you'll be waiting for a page to load forever.

if you want faster downloads, upgrade your connection.

*other factors includes your modem and/or router, also time of the day.

yea i know that..on the computer i have now when i be running more than one program it have the tendency to run slow sometime lol

yea i know that..on the computer i have now when i be running more than one program it have the tendency to run slow sometime lol
The build that brinks posted above has plenty of ram so you won't have problems like that anymore with that build.

I've maxed out 2, 1TB drives, a 320GB USB, AND a 250GB USB. All within a year, so the last statement is NOT true at all.

But I wouldn't go with the 1.5's yet... as they (Seagate) have fixed the problem, but those drives have firmware issues... a few drives might be the answer for that if your going to be using a lot of space...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom