they're just....too much...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nagasama

disgruntled ex-moderator
well, got my new gts 512, slapped it in, and scored 12,468 3dmarks.
can you say, "bottleneck"? lol, its still a thousand points higher than my SLI 8800gt score.
now i am at an impasse. should i keep the card, in anticipation of games to come that will (hopefully) have SLI support? send it back? maybe get a quad?
then, if i had a quad, i would want the card back, LOL!
i dont think wifey is going to let me spend 500 more bucks for a new mobo and chip so i can get the "full potential" ("c'mon, honey...we NEED this!") of both of those cards. but i can tell you this, i dont think my 5000 really can handle all that ONE of them puts out, let alone TWO. with one card, framerates often dip a little (stutter) when i have vsync on and i am in heavy cover or there is loads of explosions/smoke. it doesn't ever leave 60 (my screen's refresh rate) when i have SLI on.
whaddya guys think?

So what are you trying to say N-Dogg? You're getting a Quad? (Crosses Fingers, don't let it be Intel, don't let it be Intel..)

Tough decision. Thats alot of hassle for an extra card. You'd probably get $150 for both mb and cpu to use for the upgrade.

Also he can't get a Phenom on that board because of the lack of support from the BIOS, that means he's forced to spend a good amount of cash

How about wait til the Q3 price drops and grab a 750i along with an E7200?

A C2D @ 3.8-4ghz will be plenty to keep it from being bottlenecked.

Also with your current setup have you tested games? Because 3dmark06 is quite misleading at times.

well, got my new gts 512, slapped it in, and scored 12,468 3dmarks.
can you say, "bottleneck"? lol, its still a thousand points higher than my SLI 8800gt score.
now i am at an impasse. should i keep the card, in anticipation of games to come that will (hopefully) have SLI support? send it back? maybe get a quad?
then, if i had a quad, i would want the card back, LOL!
i dont think wifey is going to let me spend 500 more bucks for a new mobo and chip so i can get the "full potential" ("c'mon, honey...we NEED this!") of both of those cards. but i can tell you this, i dont think my 5000 really can handle all that ONE of them puts out, let alone TWO. with one card, framerates often dip a little (stutter) when i have vsync on and i am in heavy cover or there is loads of explosions/smoke. it doesn't ever leave 60 (my screen's refresh rate) when i have SLI on.
whaddya guys think?

Now, normally bundles are bad. But i recently saw a 680i LT and a q6600 bundled together at tigerdirect for $299

If you can afford $300, and sell off your old boardn' chip for a few buck-a-roos you could take that root.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom