Which of these setups are better? (64 X2 4600+ vs E6400 Conroe)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know the answer nitestick, but everything i've read points to quad cores only being on socket F not AM2. Admittedly this is sketchy and I havent looked around for over a month but still.

Edit:

heres a post i made back in may, admittedly that was a while ago:

I'm not convinced that AM2 will support quad core, i've only heard that K8l quadcore will be on socket F and that there will be k8L dual core on AM2.

"In early 2008, AMD's corporate roadmap claims a quad core desktop CPU will make an appearance, dubbed Greyhound. Greyhound is slated to become the first quad-core AMD chip to use the HyperTransport 3 bus, and the memory controller is slated to support DDR2 and DDR3. Unlike Deerhound, Greyhound will use the K8L architecture, and all the goodies that come with it, including the 5.2GT/s HyperTransport support. Unless AMD's plans change drastically between now and 2008, the processors will require a new socket."

I can't find any evidence that AM2 supports 4core.

true i guess :).

you are right, the information suggests quad cores will debut on socket F. my guess is that the AMD quad cores will be released as an Opteron server processor on socket F then be ported to whatever the desktop socket is at the time as was done with the original AMD 64 bit processors and the dual core range

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom