Is there much of a performance difference between DDR3 1333, 1600, and 2000MHz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Hi. I am trying to discover if there is much of a performance difference between the following speeds of DDR3 RAM:

1330MHZ
1600MHz
2000MHz

Someone will probably say: "It all depends upon what applications/programs you are using your rig for."

Ok, I plan on using this rig for the following purposes:

HTPC
Word processing
PC games on rare occasion [Crysis, Delta Force 2, etc.]
Movies
Video editing

I remember some time ago [DDR2 days] someone told me I would not notice much of a difference between DDR2 800MHz and DDR2 1066 MHZ, so I did not buy the 1066MHz.

What is the case with DDR3 please?

Thanks,

Soar

Maybe not the most noticeable difference between 1330 and 1600 but you will see there is a difference in speed just depends how in tune you are with your current performance.

Now going from 1330 to 2000 you will see a huge difference in realtime rendering and loading time.

The difference in performance between memory at different frequencies is negligible. The real difference is that the frequency increases, and usually the timings don't increase much.
DDR3 1333 @ 6-6-6-18 is going to perform better than DDR3 1600 @ 9-9-9-20. The reason for this is that with higher timings comes higher latency, and less memory bandwidth.
This is why you can find cheap DDR3 1600. You should be thinking "well if DDR3 1600 is faster than DDR3 1333, why is this DDR3 1333 kit more expensive than the DDR3 1600 kit" and you'll get your answer by looking at the timings. High-quality gaming memory has very low timings in respect to its speed, and therefore has a higher memory bandwidth than budget memory of a higher frequency.

you will not notice any performance gain from 1333 to even 2000. DDR3 is just so **** fast and effiencet, faster speeds dont make any noticeable difference in real world applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom