Is there much of a difference between a server and workstation mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darsunt

In Runtime
Newegg only has 'server' boards listed. I would like to get a 'workstation' board. Is there much of a difference? Does a 'server' board have a more powerful south bridge and stuff, or is the difference very small? If anyone has experience with these

Thanks

Well if you wanted to buy a workstation computer it could really have any motherboard you wanted as long as it has the functions you need, ie. a pci-e for a graphics design computer. A server on the other hand is not designed to do work in a sense, it will usually host files for websites or whatnot so it will have a different south bridge with more controllers for many hard drives and probably more dimms, it will also not have overclocking features wheras a high end workstation board can.

so really the essential difference is that a server board is not made for a computer that will be doing work, it will be made for a computer that might need high amounts of memory and hard drives connected to it, i think you will find some might not even have a pci-e slot or onboard audio etc, it just depends on the board. A workstation board might also support higher amount of ram than normal but not as much as servers, a workstation will probably have more expansion slots too. at least this is my understanding, someone else probably knows a lot more accurate info.

the other thing to keep in the mind is that some server board will not act and behave the same way for entry level home computer applications. 10 years ago, i had to make this high end gaming system for a client. Some guy won the lottery, and some the sales staff i was working with did not know any better. It was about AU$6000 1999's money of computer

Anyways, the system was proposed and i got stuck building it. I had issues with getting some peripherals to work, not to mentions having problems with games not working correctly. That system was a nightmare to deal with.

I have also encountered a few other people over the years that have purchased a server thinking MORE $$$$ = MORE POWER and in the end finding out that this is not the case.

servers mobo are there for server requirements. unless you know what you are going with them, just stick to your normal desktop systems.

When you see boards advertised as "workstation class" or "server class" it doesn't really mean anything specific unfortunately. You have to check the boards individually to know whether they meet your requirements. Fortunately, manufacturers do say what chipsets, expansion options etc each board has.
If the world worked logically of course you would be right, workstation boards would have better options for graphics or sound and server boards would have better southbridges and NICs but in reality you have to look out for these properties yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom