Tense about the future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandinho

Baseband Member
Hey all, I'm a newbie at this forums and just wanted to get someone's opinion. I'm heading off to college at the end of summer, and I'm planning on buying a PC to bring with me. I haven't decided whether it will be a desktop (more power) or a laptop (convenient and small form factor). Now, I do enjoy gaming (Oblivion, Halo, etc), but I'm afraid if I buy a PC, it's going to be outdated instantly. I know your all thinking, duh, that's supposed to happen. I was planning on purchasing this rig:

-NZXT DUET ATX Mid-Tower Case

-NZXT PF-500 500 Watt Power Supply (might get a bigger one)

-Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6400 (2x 2.13GHz/2MB L2 Cache/1066FSB)

-[Quad-Core Support] ECS 965T-A P965 Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, USB 2.0 PCI-E MB

-2048MB [1024MB X2] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module

-400 GB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 16M Cache]

-NVIDIA GFORCE 7950GX2 1GB w/DVI + TV Out Video (don't know about his, any recommendations?)

-Sony DW-G120 Dual Format/Double Layer 16X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive

-Creative Lab Sound Blaster X-Fi

-Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speakers + Subwoofer

However, I'm cautioning whether to spend this much, because of Direct X 10 cards coming. I was wondering whether my rig would be totally outdated in a year or two. I want my rig to play the Oblivion, RTSs and MMOs, and the new Half-Life Episode 2. Not only this, but the pc will also be for school work. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

dx10 cards are already out man
go for an 8800gts

for a psu get a fortron 450watt (fortron is FSP Group)

that motherboard is ok if your not overclocking

exactly, as fade said above, look at DX10 rather than QUAD SLI right now... A single 7950 GX2 is about the same price as an 8800GTS.

fade2black2004 said:
dx10 cards are already out man
go for an 8800gts

for a psu get a fortron 450watt (fortron is FSP Group)

that motherboard is ok if your not overclocking

Forton, not Fortron.

How is the 8800GTS? I heard it's amazing for gaming, but doesn't it consume a lot of power? What should my wattage be for the card? Also, will this card guarantee me a couple years or more of solid performance?

Thanks

The 8800GTS is an awesome graphic card for gaming. The Fortron 450W, is enough to power that system you are planning. And yes, this card can give you at least a couple of years of solid performance.

Switch out the 7950GX2 for the 8800GTS, then it will last you 4 years with good performance at the end.

Mmm, maybe I will go with the 8800GTS, but it looks like it has a smaller amount of actual memory than that of the 7950. I guess that really won't make a difference. Also, does anybody own the case that I'm looking to buy? It's a new one from NZXT and it's super slick. It's skinnier than normal cases, and that's why I want it because I like the slim form factor. I was wondering if anybody had it and how they liked it because I'm trying to figure out the actual size of it and how skinny it truly is. If it's the same size as the Dell slimline XPS 210, than I'm good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom