Tell me what you think? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 12:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Tell me what you think?

Ok so I want to upgrade, but I dont want to spend that much money. Maybe a couple hundred dollars.

I currenty have a 2.8 Pentium 4 (LGA 775) socket. Now the dual core I was looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116239
Should fit right in, correct? Then put a Zalman on it http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835118003
and overclock it.

Do you think the small upgrade would increase performance, and be worth the money. And yes I know about the Conroe, so please dont mention it. I dont want to buy a whole new system. Thanks.

Old 08-01-2006, 12:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

You might get mad at me, but whatever. If you do get Conroe, you won't have to buy a whole new system. The Conroe's are the same socket as what you have now. So you can possibly get a Core 2 Duo E6300 for around $200, which leaves you $50 (considering all you want to spend is $250) for a cooling device.

So with that being said, don't shoot the messenger.

Old 08-01-2006, 01:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Really, same socket? Thats good news. Ill consider it. Some more questions. Do you think Ill need to upgrade power supply for the Conroe, or will 450 Watt be enough.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by viperman5000
You might get mad at me, but whatever. If you do get Conroe, you won't have to buy a whole new system. The Conroe's are the same socket as what you have now. So you can possibly get a Core 2 Duo E6300 for around $200, which leaves you $50 (considering all you want to spend is $250) for a cooling device.

So with that being said, don't shoot the messenger.
The best advice I can give, is to not listen to this guy.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to 2fast4u

ya cause the conroe's wont work in the older lga 733 motherboards.. that guy has no clue wut he is talking about and should look up some stuff on the net to make sure before he posts ramdon shi*!
Old 08-01-2006, 02:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

Ok back to my first point, what do you guys think of the upgrade I want to perform, at the top of the post.
Windows 7
Old 08-01-2006, 02:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Techie

Oh, I don't know what I'm talking about. Right. 2fast4u, what are you talking about? He already has a "a 2.8 Pentium 4 (LGA 775)." You know what that means? It means it is the same exact socket as the Conroes. Which in turn means he can buy a Conroe and use it. I'm done with you.

As for Khann, you don't deserve a response.

So, with that being said. Da11en47, a Conroe is the same exact socket as what you said you had. So just let us know what kind of motherboard you have.

As for your PSU, I'm not entirely sure. If it came with the case, then no. But you might have to say what it actually is (brand). Chances are, you might have to get a new one.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie

I don't get you, are you saying you wouldn't wait 7 days or so, and shell out a hundred dollars more than your proposed "upgrade" for even an E6300/motherboard, which would perform LEAGUES better than the processor you suggested?

Quote:
Originally posted by viperman5000
Oh, I don't know what I'm talking about. Right. 2fast4u, what are you talking about? He already has a "a 2.8 Pentium 4 (LGA 775)." You know what that means? It means it is the same exact socket as the Conroes. Which in turn means he can buy a Conroe and use it. I'm done with you.

As for Khann, you don't deserve a response.

So, with that being said. Da11en47, trust me, a Conroe will work with that motherboard you have. If you don't trust me, you can look it up for yourself.

As for your PSU, I'm not entirely sure. If it came with the case, then no. But you might have to say what it actually is (brand). Chances are, it probably won't work.
I'm sorry, but you have absolutely no idea, do you, Conroe's/Allendales are only compatible with LGA 775 motherboards that have a 975x chipset, and even then, it has to be of a certain revision.
[COLOR=\"Red\"]Processor:[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Black\"] Retail Core 2 Duo X6800[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Blue\"] Week 26/B2[/COLOR]
[COLOR=\"Red\"]RAM:[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Black\"] 2x1GB OCZ Platinum Rev.2 DDR2-800[/COLOR]
[COLOR=\"Red\"]VGA:[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Black\"] 1x eVGA 7950GX2[/COLOR]
[COLOR=\"Red\"]Sound Card:[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Black\"] SB X-Fi XM[/COLOR]
[COLOR=\"Red\"]HDD:[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Black\"] 2x Raptor 150GB in RAID 0/1x 500GB WD Caviar[/COLOR]
[COLOR=\"Red\"]Optical:[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Black\"] Plextor DVD-R DL PX-716AL[/COLOR]
[COLOR=\"Red\"]Speakers:[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Black\"] Logitech z-5500[/COLOR]
[COLOR=\"Red\"]Fans:[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Black\"] 9x YL D12SM-12[/COLOR]
[COLOR=\"Lime\"]Water-Cooling:[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Black\"] MCP355 w/AlphaCool top/PA120.3/AQX MP-05 SP LE/Silverprop Cyclone NexusSX chipset block[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
Old 08-01-2006, 03:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by dwarf
I'm sorry, but you have absolutely no idea, do you, Conroe's/Allendales are only compatible with LGA 775 motherboards that have a 975x chipset, and even then, it has to be of a certain revision.
That's why I edited my post because at the moment, we don't know what motherboard he has. And yes, I knew that it had to have a special type of chipset.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Techie

Yah but still dont tell him to get a Conroe if you dont know what board he has, not many boards will be compatable with conroe some will be in the future with a bios update but thats not a guarantee.