Tell me about this Mobo/Processor (Total noob)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rakie

In Runtime
Asus M2V-MX SE Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000 AM2 CPU

Also this is probably a really silly question, but the "x2" means there are two processors, meaning this is a dual core, or is this a model number ?

Also, it says it's a 3.0GHz speed, does that mean its two 1.5, or two 3.0 ?

Currently, i have:

Asus A8V-VM MOBO
Athlon 64 3200 CPU

What kind of performance upgrade can I expect ?

Yes, X2 is a dual core processor. There are two cores, each at 3 GHz, but you cant add them together.

depends. most apps don't use both cores, but in most games, you should see at least another 10 FPS added on

So, is this MOBO/Processor pretty decent ?

I'll be using the PC for pro-tools (Full quality CD editing) and gaming.

Im going to attend Musicians Institute, and i'll be recording and mixing entire CD's with this PC.

What is your budget ?

Are you getting your parts from newegg ?

About $200 for a mobo/processor. I was getting my parts off pricewatch, that mobo/processor will run me $240 after tax and shipping, with a stronger heatsink.

I really appreciate all the help guys, I have to make this decision kinda soon (Build and running before January) and I really don't have much of an idea of what Im doing.

i dont know about that mobo. ive never heard of it, so i cant really give an informed opinion. but, me never hearing of it tells me something, lol.
it is micro ATX, you know that, right?
the cpu is good, one of AMDs best.

i dont know about that mobo. ive never heard of it, so i cant really give an informed opinion. but, me never hearing of it tells me something, lol.
it is micro ATX, you know that, right?
the cpu is good, one of AMDs best.

hehe, I don't even know what a Micro ATX is ;p

I wasn't lying when I said (Total noob) :( Here is the MOBO on Newegg (I think this is it) Newegg.com - ASUS M2V-MX SE AM2 VIA K8M890 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

EDIT: Ok, i read up on this all, I kinda get it. Less pci slots, and its not SLI capable (But thats no problem for me). I read this Mobo is really good and very easy to install, and since i've read that AMD processor is one of the better one's this seems decent.

The only other thing i've read is that this MOBO doesn't support overclocking, or something like that (not sure how it works, but I know what its capable of) so that means, I wouldn't be able to increase the AMD's performance ?

Sorry for all the questions guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom