Taking a shot in the dark here.. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2016, 06:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Taking a shot in the dark here..

Being that this is my first post and I'm probably in the wrong forum I thought I would at least give it a go and see if anyone here can help me out.
If not, a recommendation to a proper forum would be greatly appreciated.

Here goes.
I have an oyster farm that is about 3/4 of a mile off shore and I am looking for a way to set up a surveillance system on a floating barge that can be viewed at my home. Obviously I haven't any power lines or wifi out there so It'll have to be run via battery with either a solar panel or small wind turbine to keep the batteries charged.
My question isn't related to the powering up of the system, I have that part figured out.
what I don't have figured out is how I get some kind of wifi receiver or hotspot set up out there to transmit the video or pictures to a cloud or satellite that could be viewed from my home or possibly my phone.
Now I don't know if these sorts of things even exist but you all seem to know a lot about this kind of thing so I thought I would throw it out there.
Again, I'm sorry if I am completely in the wrong forum here but when I searched for tech forum you came up. So thank you.
Chuck.

Chuck02554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker

Default Re: Taking a shot in the dark here..

I'm guessing no cell service out there? Contacting a satellite ISP may be your only option to see if any are available in the area of your oyster farm.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
I'm guessing no cell service out there? Contacting a satellite ISP may be your only option to see if any are available in the area of your oyster farm.
surprisingly I do have a good cell signal when I'm out there. It's right off of Nantucket and the island has a good amount of towers due to it's volume of rich entitled tourist and summer residents. So If that helps Great! Now, If I were to go another mile out it starts getting spotty, but where my farm is the pandora works great with my bluetooth waterproof speaker on my phone all day.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thank you Carnagex
so it is possible I take it? Maybe I even have some options (satellite or cellphone)?
The question now would be; What do I need to research and purchase?
And is there a any difference in quality and consistency with cellphone vs satellite?
I've all ready picked out some cameras that I think would be good. They're wireless HD 4 Megapixel
- 2.8-12mm Manual Zoom Lens
- 180 Foot Night Vision
- weatherproof extreme weather (whatever that tells you)
Old 09-02-2016, 12:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Private Joker

Well you'll want to see what your options are in regards to pricing for satellite vs cell.

Since you said cell data works out there, you may want to look into getting a mobile hotspot from whichever cell carrier (VZW, AT&T, etc.) is strongest out there - and has the cheapest plan for the amount of data you'd need.

As for the amount of data you'd need...all depends on how big those files are that you want/need to upload. Do you have those kinds of stats for us? How big the file(s) are, and how often they need to be uploaded (or streamed?)

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
Well you'll want to see what your options are in regards to pricing for satellite vs cell.

Since you said cell data works out there, you may want to look into getting a mobile hotspot from whichever cell carrier (VZW, AT&T, etc.) is strongest out there - and has the cheapest plan for the amount of data you'd need.

As for the amount of data you'd need...all depends on how big those files are that you want/need to upload. Do you have those kinds of stats for us? How big the file(s) are, and how often they need to be uploaded (or streamed?)
I have emailed the camera company asking for that information since I couldn't find anything about it on thieir website.
I'll get back to you once I get an answer.
I would like to stream the files if possible while having them stored on a harddrive at my house also.
I'm going to contact verison and sprint today to ask about the pricing for hotspots and if they offer an unlimited data plan for it. I realize streaming hd video from 4 cameras probably uses a lot of data so I don't need actual video all the time but it would be nice to have the option. I would be happy with the cameras only taking still shots every 3-5 minutes or so. That should cut down the amount of data being transmitted I would think. But let me hear back from the camera people and I'll be back.
Thanks again
Old 09-02-2016, 08:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knowitall!

Another way to cut down on the data would be to use a camera with a motion sensor that would only take a picture when it senses movement. You would need to adjust the sensor so it wouldn't be triggered by birds but would be for something the size of a human.

We have a camera setup that points to our front door. When someone steps up on the porch, it takes a picture then sends a notification to my cell phone. I only need to view that single picture to see who or what is it the front door.
strollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
Build Guru

You're going to want unlimited period, with whoever provides you the best LTE coverage out there. Take note that hotspot plans are usually different in terms of data than cell, and usually pricier.

Most modern setups are 1080p 30fps with nightvision ect that record to a local cache with software that lets you gather footage or monitor via a remote device like a phone. Something like a 4TB drive would let you cycle 30-60 days at a time and software like Blue Iris will give you the internet options you want. This is the best route to take so you're not constantly using that data and then get throttled by the provider by uploading all footage to the cloud or something. The alternative being the snapshot method above.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 11:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strollin View Post
Another way to cut down on the data would be to use a camera with a motion sensor that would only take a picture when it senses movement. You would need to adjust the sensor so it wouldn't be triggered by birds but would be for something the size of a human.

We have a camera setup that points to our front door. When someone steps up on the porch, it takes a picture then sends a notification to my cell phone. I only need to view that single picture to see who or what is it the front door.
Thanks for the response. I should have elaborated on my original post.
I wish that motion sensing was an option for me. I'll be mounting these onto a barge so it would be in constant motion.
Old 09-02-2016, 11:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck02554 View Post
Thanks for the response. I should have elaborated on my original post.
I wish that motion sensing was an option for me. I'll be mounting these onto a barge so it would be in constant motion.
Easy way around that is by using passive sensors. PIS would be your best bet.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote