System to replace multiple PCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

RickW

Beta member
Our pre-school has a computer-training classroom for kiddos. We now use 8 independent PCs loaded with XP and retail learning programs. Kids proceed at their own pace, so all students are not on the same learning module at the same time. The programs are graphic in nature, but high-speed graphics is not needed.

As these PCs have begun to wear out, I am interested to learn if there is a more cost-efficient and lower-maintenance approach to this application. For example, is there a way to run a single more-powerful computer, with each student having a monitor and keyboard only.

All thoughts, ideas, and cost estimates appreciated. Also, do you recommend a certain manufacturer or provider. Thanks.

Most desktop computers today can support (usually) a maximum of 4 monitors. Also, once u had them all running, you'd need special software to allow each user to interact with the computer, some type of virtual machine. I have no idea how you would go about configuring multiple user inputs (a mouse and keyboard for each user).

I know this post isnt really giving you a solution, but for the price, individual systems might be a better option. What is you're budget?

The system you're talking about is likely to cost more then individual computers, and would require special softwares and administration experience.

Post some budget numbers first of all. =D

Multiple monitor setups display the same Windows session. It sounds like you're looking for some type of virtual or terminal server configuration. Either will take more administration and likely higher hardware costs. Look into educational discounts for low-end desktops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom