System Check - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 02:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default System Check

First thank you to everyone here. In my searching I have learned a lot of new stuff regarding building a system.

My plans for the system are mostly work based (read - no internet surfing/email/gaming). What is work you ask? At present it consists of mostly photo editing, with a fair amount of video editing/encoding. The programs I currently use are Lightroom 3 for photos, and older versions of Premiere and After Effects for the video. Aside from that it would be basic office software to handle invoicing, records keeping etc.

I have a cart all full over at New Egg, but after finding these forums, wanted to post and get some feedback.

Cart Item List:

1 AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT55TFBGRBOX
$209.99
-$10.00 Instant
$199.99

1 ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
$149.99
-$10.00 Instant
$139.99

1 Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders
$99.99

1 HITACHI Deskstar HD31000 IDK/7K (0S00163) 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Retail
$79.99
-$10.00 Instant
$69.99

1 Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
$9.99

1 G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ
$98.99

1 hec X-Power Pro 650 650W Continuous @ 40įC ATX 12V v2.2 / EPS 12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply

&

HEC Blitz Black Steel Edition ATX Mid Tower Computer Chassis Gaming Case w/ Front Blue LED 120mm Fan & Top 120mm Fan
$119.98
-$25.00 Instant
-$15.00 Combo
$79.98

Grand Total: $698.92

I know some things might be overkill, but I tend to keep my work systems for a while, and would rather spend a few extra dollars now, and get some legs on my system as far as life cycle, then save a few dollars and need to upgrade core components later.

My biggest question mark is a video card, or lack there of on my list. I have read completely different opinions on whether or not the onboard video card will be sufficient for my purposes. I'm not looking for ideal, since I can always add a card later when funds allow, so if the onboard is passable, then great.

So there it is. Any suggestions on where I could save money, or get better for the same amount are greatly appreciated. As are potential compatibility/low quality parts pointers.

Thanks In Advance,

QM

Old 07-08-2010, 07:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: System Check

I wouldn't buy that HEC X-Power power suppy. Buy a "Good" quality unit from a reputable company. This is a better product even though it's only 500 watts.
Newegg.com - SILVERSTONE ST50F-ES 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

The heatsink that comes with the cpu will have Thermal paste "pre-applied". If you just want to have some on-hand for maintenance and servicing then skip the Arctic Silver 5. Arctic Silver 5 was the Top Paste about 5 years ago but now there are much better choices. This is a "Great" paste and it's cheaper
Newegg.com - Tuniq TX-2 Cooling Thermal Compound

Old 07-09-2010, 04:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

why is this thread in the "Building, buying and upgrading high performance pc systems" when it is a general work pc?, but good build
Old 07-09-2010, 09:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaymate View Post
I wouldn't buy that HEC X-Power power suppy. Buy a "Good" quality unit from a reputable company. This is a better product even though it's only 500 watts.
Link
I had looked through a couple psu threads and HEC seemed like a decent "bargain" psu. However I do understand that cheaping out on the psu can be a bad thing for other components that rely on it. Is the HEC unit potentially "bad" in normal usage, or is it just not as reliable if pushed super hard?

Since I had the psu and Case as a package, what decent inexpensive cases would you say are worth looking at? Again I don't mind paying a little more for the psu if need be, but if I then have to spend a decent chunk on a case, my 'how little do I need to spend' budget line starts disappearing in my review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaymate View Post
The heatsink that comes with the cpu will have Thermal paste "pre-applied". If you just want to have some on-hand for maintenance and servicing then skip the Arctic Silver 5. Arctic Silver 5 was the Top Paste about 5 years ago but now there are much better choices. This is a "Great" paste and it's cheaper
Link
I was not aware the cpu came with some. I don't plan on taking the cpu out, and if I should need to, I'll grab some paste then. Hey I just saved $10 I can put towards anothe piece, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alive.777
why is this thread in the "Building, buying and upgrading high performance pc systems" when it is a general work pc?,
I took the forum heading to refer more to the capabilities of the system based on the componentry, rather then how it was used a majority of the time. If I never drive my Ferrari faster then 45mph, does it cease to be a High Performance car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alive.777
but good build
THanks

QM
Closed Thread