system build question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfenwick

Fully Optimized
K, so my comp seems to have bit the dust: http://www.techist.com/forums/f77/partial-boot-up-killing-me-146250/index2.html

Even if I figure out the problem it's time for a new system. The last time I built anything, was that comp, about 5-6 years ago. Anyways, have started to pick out what I want (i think) from reading the other threads of similar topic but I have one question before I go any further.

I don't have the $1200 CAN right now that I'm willing to commit, I have two options, either I store up cash and get the system in Sept/Oct or I slowly start buying the parts as they come on sale and maybe save a couple of hundred that way. What I'm wondering is if I'll save enough vs just waiting until Sept/Oct and maybe having lower prices at that point?

For example, local store here has OCZ 700watt GameXStream for $130 until supplies last. That's a good price here in Canada as newegg.com is not an option. Compare: OCZ GameXStream 700-Watt ATX 120mm Fan SATA Ready SLI Ready EPS Active PFC Power Supply OCZ700GXSSLI in Canada at TigerDirect.ca at $180

and

NCIX.com - Buy OCZ GameXStream 700W ATX12V 24PIN SLI Ready Active PFC ATX Power Supply 120MM Fan Black - OCZ700GXSSLI In Canada. at $142 (on sale MIR)

And those would have S&H on top of those prices....ncix has on average the best online prices here in Canada that I've found.

Just wondering what system components, if any, are worth watching for over the next couple of months that won't matter (technology and $$$ wise) if I get them now if/when I find them on sale rather than waiting.

-PSU? RAM? Case? ect...

Should have posted this as well:

System functions:

45% games
30% multimedia (TV, music, hobby video editing, 6mm to DVD, photoshop, etc…)
25% office work

Here is what I've sort of been looking at from what I've picked up in other threads:

Mobo: MSI P6N SLI-FI
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6420
Video: ???? suggestions appreciated here, need a multimedia option, TV in/out, ability to connect the DVD player, video 8mm camera and mini DV etc…
RAM: OCZ 2GB DDR-800mhz
Audio: is my current PCI SB card with 5.1 speakers compatible?
HD: Seagate barracuda 500GB
PSU: OCZ/GameXStream 600 or 700 watts
Monitor: N/A
Case: Cooler Master Centurion 5
Mouse/keyboard: N/A
Others: will I have any issues transferring my DVD burner and player over from my current system? IDE?

Also, any difference going AMD instead of intel? If so any suggestions on the mob/CPU?

As for your Sound Card and DVD burner/player, yes, you will be fine, that motherboard has PCI slots and has IDE.

And as for AMD or Intel, that's pretty much to you, I prefer AMD, but I think most people would say Intel. So go with the prices/quality, what you want, that's all, listen to your heart!!! (omg that sounded gay haha)

Video card, the only thing I can suggest you is something like this:
If you are a gamer: ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon X1900 256MB PCI-E
If not: ATI All-In-Wonder X1300 Edition PCI-E

Make sure the Video card is PCI-E tough.

Thanks, yeah, have an AGP video right now, figured its time was up.

I've always done AMD in the past as well...what would be a comparative AMD build? CPU and mobo?

The EVGA 8800GTS 320MB video card is a good choice and it's around 300 USD.

I would worry about shipping though as if you order every order separately instead of all at once, the shipping will be increased.

The Intel duo/quads would be having a price drop on July 22nd so you can take a look at those as well. I don't think they will raise the prices though so it doesn't really matter if you order them quickly.

do you honestly need a 500GB HD?

i was going to get one also, but then after thinking about it. i have yet to even use half of my old 30GB. You could find a 320 or 250 for alot cheaper.

do you honestly need a 500GB HD?

i was going to get one also, but then after thinking about it. i have yet to even use half of my old 30GB. You could find a 320 or 250 for alot cheaper.

If he is doing video editing, watching (possibly recording) tv shows, and photoshop, then yes, 500 gb is fine.

30 gb is.. not good for that kind of work.

Yeah, thought about that as well...currently have 160GB (80*2 - one is external) and is regularly full of movies and home video. Am still thinking of going a little lower than 500GB, will still have the 80GB external.

As for shipping and handling...yeah, yuck. Have been thinking of trying to get a local chain shop to match whatever I find on Tigerdirect or ncix.

The only reason I think of getting some items before hand is that when I say $1000 for new comp my wife thinks....new leather couch! She just doesn't get why we don't pick up a bestbuy or futureshop $500 system already build. If I pick up a few components before hand then its easier to pitch a $500-600 build than a $1000-$1200.

Lol, other killer here is the tax. add 15% to the price. Essentially $1000 is my budget, tax and shipping i'll figure out. am counting on the local shop to price match tigerdirect or ncix.

Yeah, thought about that as well...currently have 160GB (80*2 - one is external) and is regularly full of movies and home video. Am still thinking of going a little lower than 500GB, will still have the 80GB external.

As for shipping and handling...yeah, yuck. Have been thinking of trying to get a local chain shop to match whatever I find on Tigerdirect or ncix.

The only reason I think of getting some items before hand is that when I say $1000 for new comp my wife thinks....new leather couch! She just doesn't get why we don't pick up a bestbuy or futureshop $500 system already build. If I pick up a few components before hand then its easier to pitch a $500-600 build than a $1000-$1200.

Lol, other killer here is the tax. add 15% to the price. Essentially $1000 is my budget, tax and shipping i'll figure out. am counting on the local shop to price match tigerdirect or ncix.

Are you sure they will match prices? Because I know some stores will only match a price if the other store (with the better price) actually has a "store". Like Tiger Direct is online only - some times those local shops won't give you a deal.

I've just placed an order on NCIX and I've saved up around 300$ CAN, at least, as for the video card, don't take the "EVGA 8800GTS 320MB" if you need video capture and all, take an all-in-wonder or something like it.

As for an AMD motherboard/CPU, you'll need a fast CPU, maybe you're better with Intel, as I heard they are good for multi-tasking. As for myself, I just bought the AMD X2 6000+, cost me around 210-250$ CAD, I want something fast, and I trust AMD. (I don't game more than that, I'm a web-designer)

Here is a good AMD motherboard, but if you don't care for the noise, I suggest you buy something with a fan on the chipset. (It's the Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4)
NCIX.com - Buy Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 ATX AM2 NF570 SLI 2PCI-E16 2PCI SATA2 RAID 1394 Sound GBLAN Motherboard - GA-M57SLI-S4 In Canada.
Can be priced match to something like ~105$ CAD. NCIX are good for price matching usually, and the shipping is reasonable, not like TigerDirect.

Well if you got any other question, don't hesitate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom