Switching from 3870 to 4870. Will PC work with out a gpu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chad711

Daemon Poster
I sold my gpu today and I was not expecting to sell it this quickly. I planned on getting the 4870 closer to xmas time. I am also expecting/hoping the price will come down after thanksgiving or that newegg will have a sell on it.

So two questions.

1) Can the computer run w/out the gpu? Normal apps and such? I do not know if my mobo has a onboard gpu or not. Tpower I45

2) I know I need to uninstall the drivers before installing the new gpu. Do I uninstall the drivers for the 3870 BEFORE I take out the 3870 or can I uninstall these drivers after or when the 4870 is installed? Does it matter?

Thanks

The board doesnt have onbioard video, so no the pc wont boot up or work after you take out the card.

You can uninstall drivers before or after you remove the card, it doesnt matter.

great, now I need to decide if i should wait for price drop or not. Plus the g/f was going to get me the card for xmas gift. Sounds like I will be buying it myself and most likely soon.

Does anything think the price might come down on black friday? I can go with out my desktop for a week if need be. I have a laptop

I was wondering the same thing Chad (if the price would drop/go on sale)

In your situation it would depend on how badly you need your computer
Personally I would just get the card if I had the money, it is the risk you took when selling it so you have to live with your decision.

I feel bad for your g/f she was probably excited about getting you a card :p

haha no she is cool. It was either that card or she was getting me the monitor I posted about some time ago. 24" Acer G24...so I have a feeling that she will just get that instead.

Newegg.com - Acer G24 Orange 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 400 cd/m2 50000:1 (ACM) - LCD Monitors

Can't wait!!! :)

As for the gpu, I can wait a week. I have been playing games on my xbox the last couple of weeks more then my PC so it's no bid deal. Plus I just got a iphone and I swear I use that more then my computer now! One of the best purchases I have ever made!

Wow, me and Chad must have awesome gf's! My gf last year bought me a $400 smart phone to replace my crappy cell phone I had previously. Boy was I surprised!

Lol, my girl bought me cod4 last year and helped pay for my first 8800GT.

This year she bought me the G5 and helped pay for cod:waw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom