Swapping CPU's..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtumble2

In Runtime
Right now I have a socket AM2 4200+ 64 X2 2.2Ghz.

I was thinking about getting the 6000+ 64 X2 3.0Ghz. Its like, $93 including shpping on Newegg.
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Is a cpu swappable like that? I'm already at dual-core, so is it possible to just throw the new cpu in and boot her up without changing anything? My computer is an HP, and the bios is locked, which blows. No OC'ing for me unless I flash the bios :/ ... And i have a Asus M2n-La or something like that of a mobo. 4gb's of ram, only 3.25 cuz of 32 bit etc..

So just wondering if this is possible.

Thanks a ton

You probably will require a BIOS Update, its very likely that the stock HP BIO's has no recognizable support for the newer Athlon's

How can I update a BIOS if the original one is locked? The M2n-la is a derivative of the M2n-lx, which is a pretty decent overclocker. I don't know much about flashing a bios and I don't want to mess anything up. The only reason I want to upgrade is because i just bought a 9800gtx+ and I want my cpu to keep up.

Thanks

So I have a AMD 64 X2 Live 4200+ 2.2 GHz. I can't overclock because of a locked BIOS (HP).

I've been looking into getting a Windsor 64 X2 6000+ 3.0Ghz on Newegg for $93 shipped.

Right now, my computer is pretty decent except for the proc. I have a Corsair 650tx, Asus M2n-la mobo, proc as above, 4x1gb ddr2 533mhz? ram (32 bit op system, so slightly less), 7200rpm sata drive of some sort (i know rpm's dont matter a ton, but yeah..) and I already ordered a 9800gtx+ (55nm chip) off newegg. OS = XP Prof Media Center 32 bit .. So..

How will crysis run with that setup? Also, I'll be keeping the stock clock on the cpu cuz of the locked bios. I don't wanna mess with my 3 year warranty. But, the windsor 3.0ghz would be what I would've clocked the 2.2 to. I can also get a cpu cooler if i need to.

I'm really building it for cod4 but i want bragging rights.

Lol thanks

Socket Am2, btw. Not AM2+, so quad coring is not an option. too expensive. thanks

Re: Crysis on a 64 X2 4200+ 2.2 Ghz..

So I assume you're not going to be overclocking it... That should be fine, i've never in my life nor do i want to play crysis, but it will play cod4 no prob.

Using a AM2+ cpu on a AM2 board?

I have an Asus m2n-la mobo with socket AM2. Is it possible to run AM2+ chips on an AM2 board? The cpu would have to declock itself, but would it do that by itself, because I have a locked BIOS.

Thanks

If your board only supports AM2, then you can forget any Phenom's

Don't get the 6000+, get the 5400+ BE instead its cheaper and its now as power hogging

Flashing is the same thing as BIOS.. and locked means you can't overclock, you can still update it

How do I check that out? the white box under my cpu says SOCKET AM2. So, any other ways to find out?

Dang, thanks for that find. Thats pretty nice.

There isn't really a noticeable decrease in performance from the 3.0 to the 2.8 is there?

And both will play crysis fine right? Or do I not even need to upgrade? And I found a pretty good cpu cooler for like 25$ shipped, so the BE would be fine.

Thanks

These things all run different voltages.. I can't change that in BIOS, so will the mobo auto adjust the voltage if I throw in the new proc? And the whole 90nm and 65nm thing..does that matter for compatibility?

Btw, how can I check what my cpu's voltage is at right now.. Should I just go into BIOS and check that out? Thanks

yes the mobo will adjust, no it doesnt matter that the 5400 is 65nm.
download cpuz, it will tell you your cpu voltage. or go into the bios.

you can probably download a new bios and the asus update utility (works in windows) and flash a new bios to it. i dont know if that works on a locked bios or not, but it wont hurt to try.
EDIT*
actually, asus doesnt list that mobo on their website. you sure the number is right?
you could try a M2N-MX bios, probably the closest one. attempt at your own risk, though. it might work, it might not.
i am not sure if the MX bios supports phenom.

how many topics are there on this...?
lol...
you need to download the asus update utility for windows, from the asus website. it will allow you to flash your bios without a floppy or any of that crap. and i think if you get the flash to take, it may unlock it? i dont know for sure, never tried it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom