swap laptop and desktop cpu's???

Status
Not open for further replies.

snipza

Beta member
Hi all! I was wondering if it was possible for me to stick my desktop cpu (Intel C2D @ 2.66Ghz) into my Asus G50v-x5. I don't how it would work work, or if it would work at all! Just trying to see if I could put it in there. Thanks!

desktop: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz
laptop: Intel core 2 Duo CPU P7450 @ 2.13 GHz

Modern Laptop cpu's don't use the same sockets as their desktop counterparts. The desktop cpu physically wouldn't fit in the laptop.

Hi,

Firstly, both processors have different sockets, so it would physically be impossible. The Core 2 Duo E6750 has an LGA 775 (aka Socket T) while the Core 2 Duo P7450 is Socket P.

Secondly, even if the two processors had the same sockets, and your laptop's motherboard supported the desktop CPU, it would be inadvisable to perform the transplant. Your current C2D P7450 mobile processor has a thermal design power of 25W, whereas the C2D E6750 desktop processor has a thermal design power of 65W. Your laptop's design and cooling system would likely not be able to support a desktop processor with such a high TDP, and even if it did, it would get very toasty indeed, and the battery runtime would be adversely affected, too.

The laptop C2D's are physically smaller than desktop ones. You can't swap them because the desktop one is bigger and has a different socket than the laptop one. I'm not sure about C2D's but newer desktop chips from Intel use contact pads instead of pins while mobile chips still use pins, so even the connectors are different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom