Surge protectors / protecting my investment...

frldyz

In Runtime
Spent a lot of $ on my build. Has not been put together yet. But in the coming weeks I will get it done.

I didn't have a budget in mind when I started. But if I did I WAY exceeded it.

What's the best way to protect my computers ( 2 ), and all my monitors & TV?

Surge protectors work by stopping X electricity from reaching your device? Preventing failure? Is a surge protector all I need / want?

Assuming I need 8-10 outlets. And I have 2 separate wall outlets to work with 6' apart from each other. What's the best way to do this? 1 massive 8-10 outlet surge protector? The amount of protection from a surge protector is measured in joules right? The more joules the better? What would be a good amount of joules?

And does anyone have any brand/model recommendations?

Thank you

Get a UPS (uninterrupted power supply, aka battery backup) over just a surge protector; preferably one with power filtering (at least some kind of filtering). That way it'll protection against both brown-outs and total black-outs so that you can safely power down your devices.

Nothing can protect you during an electrical storm, so unplugging the pc and disconnecting the ethernet cable are your best options. A UPS is the best thing for surges and brownouts

Nothing can protect you during an electrical storm, so unplugging the pc and disconnecting the ethernet cable are your best options. A UPS is the best thing for surges and brownouts

Do I get both a surge protector and UPS? Or just 1 or th other?

Do I get both a surge protector and UPS? Or just 1 or th other?

UPS usually has a surge protector in it already, as well as battery. Usually half of the plugs are battery+surge and the other half are surge only.

Just don't daisy-chain surge protectors.

UPS usually has a surge protector in it already, as well as battery. Usually half of the plugs are battery+surge and the other half are surge only.

Just don't daisy-chain surge protectors.

Does daisy chain mean. 1 surge protector connected to another?

If I am using 2 separate wall outlets. Would you rec. 2 UPS units? 1 per wall outlet?
Would it be ok to have a surge protector in the wall then a UPS connected to the surge protector?

Does daisy chain mean. 1 surge protector connected to another?
Correct.

If I am using 2 separate wall outlets. Would you rec. 2 UPS units? 1 per wall outlet?
Depends on what you're hooking up and if you want it to be plugged into a UPS. I personally have 2 UPS's in my apartment for my media stuff on 1 wall, 2 different outlets.

Would it be ok to have a surge protector in the wall then a UPS connected to the surge protector?

That's exactly what I said not to do, as I stated above ;).

Back
Top Bottom