SuperMicro Motherboard...Is it a good value? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 01:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via AIM to klevenskiy
Default SuperMicro Motherboard...Is it a good value?

Hi,
I am working in video game level design so i require a powerful workstation that is capable of both calculating a lot of data fast (to create my work) and to smoothly run the latest video games (to test my work).

So I have been looking at dual CPU and GPU systems. The problem was finding a motherboard that would support both of these. I need support for 2 Socket 940 processors with 1000MhZ FSB HyperTransport, support for SLI via PCI-e 16X, at least 8GB of DDR 400 Ram for future upgrading and several SATA ports.

The only motherboard I found that follows these characteristics is a SuperMicro H8DCi . The problem is that I have never heard of a "SuperMicro" brand before, nor did I find this MoBo on NVidia site in the list of SLI supported MoBos, even though it clearly states in this SuperMicro's MoBo's characteristics that it does have SLI support.

So I thought of asking you guys here. Do you know of this brand? Is it reliable? Does this card really have all the characteristics listed above? Is it worth the money?

Thank You in advance.

Old 06-09-2006, 03:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via AIM to IntelUser101

in MY opinion you should take that mobo u chose, i too had a bit of trouble finding a mobo with the specs you need, 32gigs ram would pwn on a gaming pc..EVEN 8 lmao anyway yeah go for it if thats the only one you found (after about an hour of searching)

Old 06-09-2006, 09:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to bigbaddog

I have used Supermicro boards in the past. They specialize in servers, heavy duty computing workstations, etc. They don't usually make mobos for overclockers, gamers and the like. Think of it as comparing a bulldozier to a Corvette. They are very reliable but not user friendly.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Supermicro is good. Like above - they only make highend boards.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via AIM to klevenskiy

Thank You for your feedback, it was just what I was looking for.
Old 06-10-2006, 03:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to Pepsiboy700 Send a message via MSN to Pepsiboy700

Supposivly if the os doesnt support the amount of ram you have it can slow down games like for example, going from 1gb to 2gb of ram can either lower, raise or leave the fps at the same in games but multitasking greatly increases. This issue imo, would cause me to just get two sperate computers. One with dual core opterons, 8gb ram and some nice hd space. Another with a 7900gtx, 2gb ram and a x2.
HD 5750 @ 850/2400
Thermaltake 630W
Antec Lanboy Air
Old 06-10-2006, 04:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Pepsiboy700
Supposivly if the os doesnt support the amount of ram you have it can slow down games like for example, going from 1gb to 2gb of ram can either lower, raise or leave the fps at the same in games but multitasking greatly increases. This issue imo, would cause me to just get two sperate computers. One with dual core opterons, 8gb ram and some nice hd space. Another with a 7900gtx, 2gb ram and a x2.
Probably the better option, but it can get expensive.