summer '06

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liamo0o

Baseband Member
I plan on building a computer this summer with about a 2,500 budget (minus moniter) I plan for it to be a workstation/gaming computer (workstation 1st priority) I am wondering what new developements I should be anticipating in terms of buying parts this summer. For example, will there be drastic new video card developents (physics engine cards?) new/lower priced dual core processors etc. What do you anticipate for the summer '06?

Well in May, PhysX cards are supposed to be coming out at around 300 bucks. For a workstation, i would defintly go with dual core and since you have a 2500 dollar budget, go for the AMD 4800 X2 S939.
For your motherboard, make sure it has a pci-ex16 slot or two if your going to SLI or crossfire. I would go with a 7800 series or 7900 series card for video. Maybe two 300 gig SATA. defintly get a good psu, and make sure the pin number matches up with the mobo (20/24/20+4).
~Static

EDIT: read this....
http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=77323

i do not know of too much more that will be going on. If you can wait another 7 months or so a huge new line of everything will come out.... windows, g80, (am2?), and so on

i wouldnt get a 7800/7900 for a workstation, especially if hes doing CAD, get like a quadro 1400 or something.
although, he has to make a choice, less preformance in workstation like activities and gaming ability or totally workstation no gaming

I agree a choice must be made on his half. I also find it difficult to recommend hardware that isn't released with no official tests made to determine quality. At this point it is best to decide what his needs are and come back in the summer and ask what parts are good.

i would go with conroe for right now. its graphics and audio/video encoding abilities r unbeatable thus far. although even when it comes out in july, it will be very hard to get ur hands on one for a while.

and if ur going to do workstation 2/3 of the time or more i would go with the quadro video card line

and aliasaid, that article is a little old. the 965 chips r already out.

i didnt suggest the physx card, i told him it was coming out.

but as for video card, yeah, he's defintly going to have to choose... i just chose a card i THOUGHT might do a LITTLE CAD but... apparantly its one or the other eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom