Suggestions on what to buy? Best desktop opinions?

None. AMD's modular core system is virtually the same as Intel's quads with HT except their single threaded performance is much lower making an Intel quad better for gaming. Server CPUs are typically more expensive because the motherboards themselves are priced rather high due to being loaded with features not commonly found on consumer boards.

On the flip side, Intel's Xeon 8 cores are also extremely expensive and they do not plan on releasing a consumer 8 core (HEDT) until Q3 next year. At this point, there isn't even a reason to have a hex core which I demonstrate and explain all of this in my thread here. The new consoles are 8 core yes, but their total computational power is that of a current quad core like the 4670k or 3770k. Making anything else rather moot for the time being. I have only come across two games that actually utilize more than 50% of a true hex core (3960x).

Seriously should have just consulted. You got gipped IMO.

I'll use this as an example for the other guy why building your own is much better than pre-builts.

Plot twist! He bought a computer from Walmart!!

PCs and Macs are practically the same components except Macs cost more and the OS is limited to what you want to do. If you want to game, then you want a PC.

Yo, PP... 2005 Called. They said you're beating a dead horse. *BA-DUM-SHH!*

Would you say this is a decent build for the price?
No. For a little less than 300 over what you spent, the build up there has double the GPU power, the latest gen Intel processor, a much better PSU, an SSD, and the onboard sound solution on that B85 board is better than the cheap Creative Audigy SE.

Plot twist! He bought a computer from Walmart!!

Yo, PP... 2005 Called. They said you're beating a dead horse. *BA-DUM-SHH!*
Joking aside, it's still true.

No. For a little less than 300 over what you spent, the build up there has double the GPU power, the latest gen Intel processor, a much better PSU, an SSD, and the onboard sound solution on that B85 board is better than the cheap Creative Audigy SE.

Joking aside, it's still true.

You can always spend more and more money to upgrade something, but that doesn't mean you need it. I'm happy with what I got and think it will suffice well. Thanks for all the replies.

Board Closed!

True, but you gave a budget and you could have had basically double the power, and the SSD speed for within your budget. That's the thing though, you're not spending THAT much more for the amount of hardware you could of had. Simply dropping the a GTX770 would have brought the price of the DIY to the pre-built, with still that much more power.

Sure what you bought is a good rig. Not denying that, but on this forum we are against pre-builts for exactly that reason. You get practically ripped off for somebody else to build the machine for you.

To each his own.

True, but you gave a budget and you could have had basically double the power, and the SSD speed for within your budget. That's the thing though, you're not spending THAT much more for the amount of hardware you could of had. Simply dropping the a GTX770 would have brought the price of the DIY to the pre-built, with still that much more power.

Sure what you bought is a good rig. Not denying that, but on this forum we are against pre-builts for exactly that reason. You get practically ripped off for somebody else to build the machine for you.

To each his own.
You can't expect a normal civilian(without any knowledge in that field) to fly a plane, or to build a computer from scratch. I'd rather spend less and get a decent amount of power, than pay an extra $300 to put hard work in and risk doing it wrong for extra power I don't absolutely need. Granted it would be a learning experience, it's not for me right now. I appreciate your concern, however. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom