PassionBlue

Solid State Member
Alright I'm building a new rig and I've purchased the following components:

Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE 100259L Radeon HD 4870 512MB

Memory:OCZ Reaper 4gb DDR2 800

Hard Drive: Western Digital 640GB Caviar 16 MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s

Optical Drive: LG Black SATA 22x DVD +/- R/RW, ROM, etc. w/ LightScribe

Power Supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W

The price came to $376 after shipping and Mail-In Rebates.

Hopefully these were good choices. Anyway, now I have to decide on a motherboard, processor, case, and CPU cooler. Here are my thoughts on each:

Processor: I'm fairly certain that I want a quad core CPU and I'm trying to decide between an AMD Phenom 9950 or an Intel Q9550; my chief objective with this build is to achieve the best possible price : performance ratio, so I'm only willing to pay significantly more for the Q9550 if it's going to realistically give me a significant boost in performance. I use my computer for basically general use, a bit of gaming, some big engineering-related programs, watching high-quality videos (though not blu-ray), and sometimes Photoshop/Illustrator and such.

Motherboard: If I went with the Phenom, probably a ASUS M3A78-T AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX, since as far as I can tell it's one of the best 790GX boards and there's a combo deal right now with the 9950 that would allow me to save $30. If I went with the Q9550, I'd probably say either a GA-EP45-UD3P or a P5Q Pro, again depending on combo deals.

Case: I really wanted an Antec 900 and could've gotten one for $60 during the black friday deals :'( but I was too slow and now I think I should just get an Antec 300 instead. However, while I'm pretty sure the one HD 4870 would fit in it, do you guys know if I'd be able to fit another one if in the future I decided to get another one and Crossfire them?

CPU Cooler: I'm thinking I should get a Core Contact Freezer for $30 shipped after $10 M.I.R, do you guys think this is a good decision?

So what do you guys think about all this? Am I on the right track here, any suggestions?

Thank you SO much for your help! Sorry this was such a long post and I'm extremely grateful for any suggestions you may have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom