Suggestions/Advice for Computer Newbie, Essentially - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2015, 04:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Question Suggestions/Advice for Computer Newbie, Essentially

Hey guys.

I'm in the market for a new computer, and its been about a decade since I've been able to actually afford or contemplate one. So I kind of wanted to splurge a little and buy one that would be good for gaming. I was a gamer when I was younger, and I'd like to get back into that now since I can afford it. However, I would still like to be able to use Word and iTunes on it.

Sorry if I'm sounding dumb; I haven't been in the tech scene in this way for a long time, so I'm just not educated on what's out there right now and how its working in terms of gaming gadgets. Anything you guys can advise me with or teach me is heavily appreciated.

I hope you're all having a good day today

trying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 07:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: Suggestions/Advice for Computer Newbie, Essentially

Lol, screen name trying. Well you came to the right place.

Will need to know what games you want to play, what resolution your screen is (or if you're buying one what target resolution or size), and then will need to know a budget to get started with linking parts for you.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 10:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I thought someone would get a kick out of it lol

I am not at all confident in myself for building a computer... I don't have that type of computer background or experience. I was going for just buying one, but would building be the better option? My budget is anywhere between 1,000 to 3,000, granted I have time to save up to it for the bigger expenses. I am a long-term planner.

I am a hussy for beautiful graphics, so the higher the better (but I am honestly ok with playing games in low-med graphic settings if it comes down to it, as long as it doesn't take away too much from the image). I don't know what games I'd go for yet. Maybe Guild Wars, since it seems so acclaimed? Tera Online, since the graphics look stunning? I've been out of the loop for a long time, so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. MMORPG, geared more toward fantasy, would be where I'm trying to get back into.

I hope I answered your questions. Thank you for replying!
trying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 06:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru

Building isn't hard, and you don't need to know anything about building to actually do it. There are also a million guides on the internet that you can get started with. Building is the better option always. You get exactly what you pay for, warranties on individual parts, and better performance for your dollar.

So when you say save up for it, do you mean you plan on buying later or now? Always best to have all your ducks in a row before building a computer. 1500 bucks will build you a very nice computer, 3000 is working towards a caliber of my rig which is unnecessary to say the least. Even 1000 will build a nice rig these days.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, gaming, gaming computer, newbie