Suggestion for Sound Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

chickenfoot

In Runtime
I'm not looking for a really, really good sound card like one of those X-Fi, but a pretty decent one that will off-load my processor from handling too much (i have integrated right now) in Source games. My budget is $100 max, and I don't want a crappy one that's like 4 years old, but one that is actually worth keeping if I upgrade to M2 mobo and processor next year. Also, I won't be using any surround sound system, just a standard 2 speaker set, or might be using a headset. Thanks.

P.S., I searched on Newegg, and found that there are 2 interfaces for sound cards: USB and PCI. Which gives the better performance?

Sicne your on a tight bidget then this sone would be the est choice for you:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829102188
It's 15$ over but it's way worth it.

Also, PCI is good because thers is almost always a slot in your computer that is empty, Unless you have one of the new DFI's then your pci slottage is limmited to 2 slots. I use one for the sound card and the other for something else.

USB is ok sicne its not the best choice, but all the comuter have the usb connection someplace.

I agree with Dawizhacker, the X-fi he posted is an awsome card.
Id say get USB only if you dont have any open PCI slots on your mobo.

Definately that X-Fi. But dude, you need some good speakers or a very nice $50 headset to get the best sound out of it...No sense in buying a $100 Sound card for $40 performance.

I have another question. What type of interface should I look for in a sound card? I want to be able to continue to use the sound card if I upgrade my motherboard. I don't want to be in a similar situation with buying an AGP or PCI video card and finding out that I should've bought a PCI-Express card.

There are no PCI-E Sound Cards to my knowledge. Atleast none for the regular user.

Theres USB, but thats pointless.

USB is good if you dont have any open slots or have a laptop, thats about it.

PCI>USB

lol PCI-Express sound card. IMAGINE THE BANDWITH TAKEN UP BY A SOUND CARD!!! lol. imagine some sort of SLI sound card.!! Sorry im bein random.

but PCI is wat ur lookin for. there aren't sound cards for AGP or PCI-E.
because they don't use up that much bandwith.

but yea, go for the X-Fi series. they'll last you AGES!!!

(AGES in computer terms = about 2 weeks :p )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom