Suggesting PC parts for a friend

XGC Forsakend

Student & Lover of Games
Hola!

- the story-

So a friend of mine has been wanting to build his own pc for quite sometime since I have built mine thru this sites help. He is about to go to school for game design/art design and needs it to fufill his school needs... along with being able to play games.

He is being a butt and refused to come to the site and ask himself so I am acting as middle man (yay... go me).

- the budget & needs-

He has been saving for a bit but needs to get a pc asap for school purposes. His current budget is $700-1,000. It needs to include everything required to run + keyboard, monitor, mouse, case and a drawing pad of some sort to allow an easier time to draw.

He mostly needs it for the basic school purposes along with being able to support any type of drawing and design programs such as 3DSMax and Photoshop and such. Games is also a big hobby, and would probably like to be able to play games until he can afford a better set-up or upgrades.

I believe he was about to go buy a pre-built one (which I tried to tell him not to, think he was going to go with Alienware) but got him to consider making one on his own and showed him some videos posted on this site serving as walk thru's to building one.

I am not an expert in PC parts or anything really regarding hardware
(ask me about UDK and we shall talk for hours!)
... so any help would be greatly appreciated ^_^

Thanks

You're not going to get much of a gaming rig with that budget considering he needs the peripherals too.

Yea, I figured as much. Considering the laptop he is currently using though is barely able to run Blood Bowl: Legendary edition (although stutters and lags like hell), it will still be a huge leap for him.

He got offered a better job and will be able to afford a much better gaming rig in the future, but needs to get one now for school :p

I would look at an 8350 or 3330 with a 660. 1TB HDD and possibly an SSD with a Seasonic 520w MK2. That plus a monitor and the rest should be in his budget.

I would look at an 8350 or 3330 with a 660. 1TB HDD and possibly an SSD with a Seasonic 520w MK2. That plus a monitor and the rest should be in his budget.

Thanks for sugestion. Will play around with those parts in that partpicker thing up above and see what I can come up with.

Thanks, took out the RAM I had in that built and linked him that one. I also forgot the optical drive so I threw in a $19 one.

updated: AMD A6-3650, EVGA GeForce GTX 660 - System Build - PCPartPicker
Kingston HyperX XMP Blu Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model KHX16C9B1RK2/8X - Newegg.com

I think $300 should suffice him in finding the other parts on his own. Thanks for the help :)

Back
Top Bottom