Stupid new Technology WTF? PC build ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Looby

In Runtime
k have many questions. if any are stupid plz bear with me

what is DDR2?

Is it worth me revamping my new build to go for a board like the ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition that supports it?

read somewhere that XP cant decifer anymore than 3GB of ram is that DDR or DDR 2 or both or all RAMs? what other OS can or will be able to and if its not out when will it be out?

Looking to build new computer is DDR2 going to become the standard or is the industry just going to change in 2 months and go to something faster

what is Conroe??? and why should i wait for it? im a dumb dude so please explain in small words

my current PC is a stock gateway from 2002 that i have made many mods to

P4 - 1.6ghz
650 watt BFG PSU
LG DVD burner
250 GB HDD
160 GB HDD
20 GB HDD
80 GB ext HDD
ATI radeon 9600xt
ATI TV wonder Pro (tv tuner)
USB 2.0 card
5 Fans (had to custom cut case case only meant for 1)
fan controller

i am desperate for a new system

i multi task a lot on IE and need a fast PC for games and a lot of higher end audio editing. any suggestions on a rig set up? would perfer an SLI capable system for future upgrades am looking to spend no more than 3grand MAX. im a poor college student so i need this to last me for years

this is what i want to move over from my current PC

650 watt BFG PSU
LG DVD Burner
250 GB IDE HDD
160 GB IDE HDD
ATI TV wonder Pro (tv tuner)
fans out the *** and a fan controller

i need 6 - 5.25 external bays and one small external for an a:\ drive in the case

i want to run a good liquid cooling system for everything in the case CPU, GPU, HDDs, etc... (so if i dont use the fans no biggie)

any suggestions or answers to my questions i thank u ahead of time

atlantis22@bellsouth.net if anyone wants to contact me fast

thanks again

what is DDR2?

It is RAM that works at a higher clock rate and lower voltage. It isn't 'great' but it is the future for the moment. DDR3 and XRAM shall start showing next year or two in CPU market.
Is it worth me revamping my new build to go for a board like the ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition that supports it?

Well if you are going AM2, than they are all DDR2 boards. there are a couple of Intel LGA 775 boards that run on DDR where I will say yes to getting a DDR2 board. Mainly as PCIE cards are cheaper, but the DDR ram will be a bottleneck between the CPU.

read somewhere that XP cant decifer anymore than 3GB of ram is that DDR or DDR 2 or both or all RAMs? what other OS can or will be able to and if its not out when will it be out?

It can see 4Gibs of RAM but doesn't work well with it. Your PC will be better with 3Gibs or 2 depending on what you do with the PC.

Looking to build new computer is DDR2 going to become the standard or is the industry just going to change in 2 months and go to something faster

You can't avoid the changes. Get the best RAM your motherboard supports. Don't chose a PC round the RAM though.

what is Conroe??? and why should i wait for it? im a dumb dude so please explain in small words

Conroe is Intel's new core, like Netburst for the current Pentium 4's. It does more calculations per clock so doesn't need a high ghz rating to be faster than current P4's. It is worth waiting for just for the price drops that are happening with AMD, but everyone who isn't a fanboy will say Conroe is the way to go right now.

3000, and your poor? lol :p

i want to run a good liquid cooling system for everything in the case CPU, GPU, HDDs, etc... (so if i dont use the fans no biggie)

You sure about the hdd bit? It is really pointless IMO. By all means go water cooled. Great fun setting it up.

You will be looking at something like a Thermaltake Armor or Kandalf to fit 6 5.25 drives in. :eek: Great case though. I am really happy with mine.

I'll let someohne else spec you a PC, but quickly check that your PSU has a 24pin connector to the motherboard.

1) DDR2 is another platform of ram, currently it doesnt matter which you have DDR or DDR2 because they wont stop producing DDR supported computers any time soon, maybe when DDR3 comes out DDR will be out of the picture but no need to worry for now.

2) If you want to upgrade ur computer, and not pay high prices for AM2 or Conroe, then just wait a week or two for the prices of AMD x2s to drop, and just get a S939, its still as good as the Am2, but the am2 has some more advantages ( no not the DDR2, thats a small advantage, but doesnt effect performance by alot)

3) Windows Xp Pro 32bit can only use a maximum of 3GB, any more will only slow it down, but 2x1GB in dual channel is much more effective than 3 GB

4) refer to answer 1

5)Conroe is a new type of intel processor, but the market name is Intel Core 2 Duo. if u have the money, then yes, wait a week to get it, but if u want to make sure its performance is good, wait 2 weeks for the actual benchmarks to out, then pick what you want. the conroe has so far shown amazing performance, so if u can afford it then definitely wait for it.

6) k well about ur system im not sure u can transfer that PSU, mainly because u got it in 2002, so i doubt its SLi ready, but if it is, then go ahead and use it, and u can use everything else in that list of yours.

now that u got those parts. then here are ur 3 choice, for s939, Am2, or Conroe. im just making this off the top of my head, so u might wanna research the parts and see if there are alternatives u would like, this is more of a guideline.

S939
DFI Lanparty Ut ULtra-D
AMD Opteron 170
2x1GB Dual CHannel ofa ny of these brands: crucial, corsiar, G.skill, OCZ, Patriot, Mushkin
Thermaltake Black Kandalf*
Viewsonic VP930B

Am2
AM2 x2 4200 or 4400? just pick one that return with ur choice, and we'll discuss it
MSI K9N, or ASUS m2N mobo
2x1GB of those brands listed above

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
a good mobo i guess, not sure which ones are best
2x1GB of list above

Monitor is really ur choice, the one in the first rig is good, but if u can afford this go ahead and get it, the LG L2000C i think thats wat its called, just ask 003, thats his name on this forum.

as for video card. your choice is to get a 7900GT or GTX, or X1900 Xt, or Xtx, now or just get a 7900GT, or x1900xt, or x1800Gto, and wait for a G80 or ATI R600 coming end of this year, hopefully.

The sound card you would wannag et is most likely a Creative X-Fi XtremeMUsic.

*Thermaltake Black Kandalf, i only suggest this because its huge, has good cooling, looks good, an you wanted something with a lot of expansion space and this has it.

yeah i have been saving for 2 years now and will not eat or anything for months so i can build my dream machine

what the heck i need to lose some weight...lol

PSU is brand new 2006 bought 2 weeks ago

idk about the HDD liquid cooling. my HDDs run about 100 F now so... i figure it couldnt hurt

i had PC running at about 187 F and it continuasly shutdown on me so i carved up my stock gateway case and added 4 fans :D
now it runs about 106 F

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom