Student build - UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you are gonna use ddr3, it would be best utilized by going with an i7 build. the extra money that ddr3 costs is not worth it until you use 1600 speeds anyway.

if you want something future proof, you might be able to get an i7 build by saving up and spending around £800

It will be more future proof in a memory sense and cpu upgrade sense, but the performance difference is minimal. also just get 4gb ddr3, that is a set of 3 stick for intel triple channel you dont need that. I would stick to muffins build.

Ok. so, some more questions! :D

Is there a noticable difference between 1600 and 1333 MHz ram? the 1333 is about £20 cheaper.... but is it really much slower?

And should I be getting a socket AM3? This seems to require DDR3 ram? is this correct?
I want this socket because I assume that any new AMD CPU will use this, so I can upgrade easily...
does anybody know if this is the case? Will this socket be used for new cpus?

and how does this gpu compare to the 4890? Asus GeForce GTX 260 896MB GDDR3 PCI-Express Graphics Card (Includes Terminator Salvation PC Game)

thanks again

Ok. so, some more questions! :D

Is there a noticable difference between 1600 and 1333 MHz ram? the 1333 is about £20 cheaper.... but is it really much slower?

And should I be getting a socket AM3? This seems to require DDR3 ram? is this correct?
I want this socket because I assume that any new AMD CPU will use this, so I can upgrade easily...
does anybody know if this is the case? Will this socket be used for new cpus?

and how does this gpu compare to the 4890? Asus GeForce GTX 260 896MB GDDR3 PCI-Express Graphics Card (Includes Terminator Salvation PC Game)

thanks again
Muffin man is right, the i7 build would be that bit more future proof. My recommendations were only to prove that the AMD option is there and its a cheaper. IF you can stretch however go for an i7 build as it's a seriously powerful rig! (i'd defo get one if I could afford it, but I can't so I have to stick to the AMD route)
Baron5 is right too. The 6gb option is for use only with i7 as it's triple channel, i.e. uses three memory sticks. AMD use dual channel which, while not as fast, works out cheaper. Hence get 2 x 2GB sticks, NOT 3 x 2GB. (Nothing you will do will require the extra 2gb of RAM I'd say hence its a waste)

1600 RAM is not THAT much quicker. If you plan on overclocking, then get a god set of 1333MHz sticks and overclock them.If you don't, just stick to 1066MHz as this is the speed the i7 and Phenom II automatically run RAM at.
I haven't used DDR3 yet, but apparently, even bargain-bucket 1066MHz sticks can hit 1400MHz when overclocked. (I read a UK magazine, "PC FORMAT" and thay have a group test in this months edition!)

AM3 processors support both DDR2 and DDR3. You can run an AM3 processor in an AM2+ motherboard for example (but not the other way round). For longetivity, you should get an AM3 motherboard but this means you will also need an AM3 processor (the 955). All new AMD cpu's will use this socket for the forseeable future (until AM3+ or AM4?)

That graphics card is a good one but the 4890 is better. However that will do if you can't stretch for the HD 4890 or GTX 275
For all graphics card advice, check Sora's sticky, the Graphics card rankings.

I will post an AMD build later if you want

ddr3 at 1066 speeds is just wasted money. there is no real performance gain for your money until you get 1600 speeds, and even then, getting an am3 cpu, am3 mobo, and ddr3 ram, is not worth the extra money your gonna spend over an am3 cpu, am2+ mobo, and ddr2.

you will not see any real performance by choosing ddr3 over ddr2, which is basicly what you'd be basing the build around.

also, i dont wanna sound like im bashing you zune, its just that even in the original post, the OP said he was on a tight budget. if you have a bit of spare money left over, get a better gpu, or psu, or a more appealing case to you.

ddr3 at 1066 speeds is just wasted money. there is no real performance gain for your money until you get 1600 speeds, and even then, getting an am3 cpu, am3 mobo, and ddr3 ram, is not worth the extra money your gonna spend over an am3 cpu, am2+ mobo, and ddr2.

you will not see any real performance by choosing ddr3 over ddr2, which is basicly what you'd be basing the build around.

also, i dont wanna sound like im bashing you zune, its just that even in the original post, the OP said he was on a tight budget. if you have a bit of spare money left over, get a better gpu, or psu, or a more appealing case to you.
Hey no bother, you make a good point. I was only thinking about future processor compatability, i.e. AM3 and the inevitably faster and cheaper DDR3 to come in the future.
I only ever mentioned DDR3 because of the general use of it in AM3 motherboards. Since the price difference between DDR3 and DDR2 is not all that great now, I was suggesting to go the whole hog, get an AM3 cpu, motherboard and some cheap DDR3 memory. If he needs to upgrade the processor, he can AND if he needs to upgrade memory (i.e. when 8gb becomes the norm), he can do this easily to (DDR2 will be gone the way of DDR in 2-3years time of course)
i.e. DDR2 (Decent 800MHz) Newegg.com - OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2RPR800C44GK - Desktop Memory
DDR3 (Good 1333MHz) Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-4GBPI - Desktop Memory
Total price difference, $20...

Assuming the OP not an heavy oveclocker, this will save him the need to change his mobo on top of the 'probably expensive-enough' memory and cpu. On newegg the price difference between x4 940+DDR2 and x4 955+DDR3 is $60, significantly less than a he will pay for a new mobo 2-3years from now...

@marksct
I did not make a point of this before, remember this bit I said:
"AM3 processors support both DDR2 and DDR3. You can run an AM3 processor in an AM2+ motherboard for example..."
IF you don't want to get DDR3 and an AM3 board (i.e. to save cash as Muffin Man stated), you could buy an AM2+ motherboard. After all, all AM3 processors will work in it...and AMD will use a AM3 for at least 2 years I'd say. You will only lose out on DDR3 compatability, but as muffin man stated this is not an issue unless you get expansive, fast memory.

Hence you have 3 options:
(1) Phenom II x4 940/955 + DDR2 Memory + AM2+ motherboard (Cheapest, 940 cpu recommended)
(2) Phenom II x4 955 + DDR3 Memory + AM3 motherboard (Mid-priced, a bit of future upgradability (RAM-wise anyway)
(3) Intel Core i7 920 (D0) + DDR3 Memory + LGA-1366 motherboard (By far the fastest and Dearest)
After that you need (i) A good, reliable, branded 550W+ power supply, (ii) A decent hard drive (500gb to 1TB) and cheap DVD burner, (iii) A good graphics card (Check Sora's guide) and a cheap, high airflow case (eBuyer, in the £35 range I'd say)
Hope this helps

You should understand that the reason ddr3 is not as useful for AMD processors as intel is because AMD benefits much more from tighter timings on their memory while the I7's are generally better as the speed increases. Also note that ddr3 with good timings at ddr1333 can outperform ddr1600 at average timings, but there are kits that have nice timings for cheap now like the OCZ platinums. Your best bet is to go with the am2+ solution imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom