Struggling with compiling a gaming PC build

Status
Not open for further replies.

tolok

Beta member
I have around $1100 dollars to spend on a new computer and would like to make one that can handle a lot of processes at once and to be able to run the newer high end graphic computer games. I was thinking of going with the...

Processor: Core i7 2.66ghz,
Ram: 6gb
Hard Drive: 500-750gb
GFX Card: Nvidea Core 216
Fan/Heatsink: ???
Power supply: ???
Motherboard: ???
Case: ???
and whatever else i will need

as you can tell I have a very limited amount of knowledge when it comes to hard ware but I hope you guys can help me fill in the rest of the parts and specifics for the items i did list. Any help would be great and extremely appreciated.

I am also unaware of all the nitty gritty stuff I'll need to assemble this so if you guys could let me know what else i should get to protect my PC build that would be great (i.e thermal compound, anti-static stuff, etc)

If i missed anything or you guys need to ask me some questions in order to further assist me don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks again

Motherboard: Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards I've heard good things about this motherboard, people seem to like it. Supposed to have really good overclocking abilities.
PSU: Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W Continuous @ 40°C EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7 - Power Supplies PC Power and Cooling is one of the best brands out there, and 610W will be enough to power your computer.
RAM: Unfortunately, I don't know enough about RAM to make a call on this one, timings confuse the **** out of me.
HDD: Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives Western Digital is a good brand and its got 32mb of cache.
Case: Whatever you like, a case is the one thing you'll always see whenever you use your computer so pick something that you think you could stare at for a while. Just make sure that it's not a microATX case and you should be fine.
As always though, I'm still new and this, so don't take my word for it.

Hope it's not impertinent for a noob to recommend a full build.:eek: This is nearly identical to what I have so I am pretty confident about it.

Newegg.com - Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops $279.99

Newegg.com - Open Box: BIOSTAR TpowerX58 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard $172.99
This is a good deal if you don't mind an open box, personally I grab any open box I can get. Otherwise VishKapish's board seems good.

Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P1600LV6GK - Desktop Memory $109.99

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives $74.99

Newegg.com - XFX GX260NADFF GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards $179.99
Two free games, sounds like a steal to me.

Newegg.com - Sunbeam Transformer IC-TR-B Blue Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases 86.99
Wish I had got this one instead of my $170 Antec 1200.

Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W Continuous @ 40°C EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7 - Power Supplies $94.99
Very good PSU. Runs my OCed i7 fine.

Newegg.com - LG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache IDE 22X DVD±R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners $23.99

Comes to $1023.92 altogether, pick up Windows 7 RC and you'll be set.

If your going to overclock get the XIGAMATEK Dark Knight and some Arctic Silver 5.

Newegg.com - XIGMATEK Dark Knight-S1283V 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks $39.99

Newegg.com - Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - Thermal Compound / Grease

A lot of people recommend the sunbeam core contact but then you need the retention bracket and the Dark Knight works fine for me.

hi, take a look at this setup:

CPU/MOBO: Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

GPU/RAM: Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

HDD: Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

DVD: Newegg.com - LG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 22X DVD-R 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

PSU: Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

CASE: Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

the total comes to $1,128 including shipping and if you send the $55 in rebates, it comes to $1,073

you can use the windows 7 rc as your o.s. for free. better than vista by far.

and if you ever decide to go xfire, you won't need to upgrade the psu. the gpu i listed is better than the 260 core 216
edit: assembling a pc is not hard at all, i do not really know of a good guide to recommend, but i know others do. also, that cpu comes with a stock h and f that will be fine if you plan on not ocing at all or a little bit.

and when assembling it, as long as you dont like, drag your feet across a rug or something, just touch the metal case to discharge any static and you'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom