Stream Processors Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drewser

In Runtime
This is probably a simple question for most, but I just wanted some clarification.

When comparing two similarly priced and performing cards like the HD 2900PRO and 8800GTS 320MB, why does the HD 2900PRO have so much more stream processors than the 8800GTS but they are both similar performance wise?

Are the 8800GTS's stream processors faster so they don't need to have as much as the 2900PRO?

Someone clear this up for me plz. Mahalos

Hmm im not to good with the Steam processor thing but to kinda give a go at it its sorta like midrange cards to highend cards. Having to much of something is always better. Its sorta like the 2900pro has a 512bit wide memory bus as well but dosent really give it much more justice. I cant really clarify more without starting to lie cause idk.

I can say thoug that the HD2900pro runs circles around the 320mb GTS.

The nvidia stream processors work differently and their clocks are much higher.

Also the 320 number is just marketing crap...the 2900 realy has only 64 5-way sp units (64x5 = 320)

what abou the SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 2900PRO its marketed as 320 stream proccessors, 512 bit, yet 1 gig ram... would you consider buying it over the nvidea -IF they were around the same price (they are on newegg- about 30 dollar differnce but very close none the less)

Over the nvidia what?

I might choose it over the GTS but definitely not over the GTX. The GTX is the fastest card out and will be for some time.

reason being for the figuratively Low speed difference between the 2900Pro and th GTX (dont flame I know GTX is "Much" faster- but think how much it really is and not its performance) the Pro is about 300 dollars cheaper... so really.. is that boost of perf worth 300 bucks? Do you really push your games THAT far to pay 300 more to get that extra kick?

I wouldn't pay for a 8800GTX...it's a great card but I don't think I could ever shell out that much cash for a GPU.

Like we mentioned int he other thread....wait til next week for the 8800GT. Pretty sure that's what you're looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom