Sticking With My 6800XT Or Upgrading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

westy159

In Runtime
I like my current card. Geforce 6800XT 128mb AGP. Certianly not the greatest but I can play most of my games on med/high settings. But now its really starting to show its age. I was thinking of getting a small upgrade for Xmas but with all the other things I have to buy for family and friends I have little cash to spare for a video card. I dont want to go above £100.

Now here (4th card down, Leadtek 7600GS 256mb) looks good for the price, but is it really that much of an upgrade from my current 6800XT?

Ive been looking at my 6800XT stats using PC Wizard 06

[My] Geforce 6800XT:
Core Frequency : 325Mhz
Memory: 700Mhz
Pixel Pipelines: 8
Vertex Pipelines: 4
Bus: 256-bit
Peak Memory bandwidth: 21.9Gb

Using wikipedia I found some stats of the 7600GS

Geforce 7600GS:
Core Frequency: 400Mhz
Memory: 800Mhz
Pixel Pipelines: 12
Vertex Pipelines: 5
Bus: 128-bit
Peak Memory Bandwidth: 12.8Gb

Now im not sure how important the peak memory bandwidth is but on the 7600GS it is almost half of what the 6800XT's is. Also note that the Bus (memory interface) is half of my XT's.
Maybe these things dont matter, im not sure. The frequencys of the Core and Memory arent much more on the 7600GS than they are on the 6800XT either. However the GS does have 4 extra pixel pipelines and the GS I would be getting is 256mb, my current 6800XT is 128mb.

Still, is it worth the upgrade?

Cheers in advance.

maroon1 said:
7600GS is better than 6800XT but not by a lot.

So, my advice: No don't upgrade

If I choose to not upgrade there is a risk of having a major regret when I get new PC games this Christmas and find I can not play them but on the lowest of settings.

westy159 said:
If I choose to not upgrade there is a risk of having a major regret when I get new PC games this Christmas and find I can not play them but on the lowest of settings.

If you want to upgrade then upgrade to something like 7600GT or 7900GS, but not 7600GS.

Also, what is the rest of your computer specs ?

Ill seeif I can squeeze in the extra for the GT version but im worried that my CPU will bottleneck it.

And Pentium 4 @ 2.66Ghz
1GB RAM

u need a whole system overhaul instead of getting a few games for crhismass ask all ur relatives to pitch in to build u a new computer as what u have im surprised can play games now

westy159 said:
Ill seeif I can squeeze in the extra for the GT version but im worried that my CPU will bottleneck it.

And Pentium 4 @ 2.66Ghz
1GB RAM

Your CPU will bottleneck it. So, it is better to build an new system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom