Step up or not? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-20-2008, 06:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Phoenix219's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 89
Default Step up or not?

Since it would basically be the same amount of money, should I step up my 8800gts 512 to a gx2 or buy another for an sli setup? The one thing that makes me nervous about the step up process is the time it takes to actually get the new card and being without a video card for a long span of time.
__________________

__________________
Q6600@3.6
EVGA 780i Motherboard
2gb OCZ Reaper 900mhz 4-4-4-12
EVGA 8800gts 512mb 800/1080
2x Western Digital 250gb SATAII Raid0
Antec 850w PSU
Antec 900 Case
3DMark06 - 15544
Phoenix219 is offline  
Old 03-20-2008, 06:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
RicoDirenzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,102
Default Re: Step up or not?

If money is no object, get the new card. If you are like most of us you may want to consider a second GTS until Nvidia prices on the GX2 come down considerably. I have two GTS 320mg in Sli and, since I'm not a Crysis fanboy, my system does anything I want at high resolutions. BTW, I don't think any 8800GTS is the same cost as a 9800Gx2...they cost $600.

Newegg.com - MSI NX8800GTS 512M OC GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P3-N891-AR GeForce 9800 GX2 1GB (512MB per GPU) 512-bit (256-bit per GPU) GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
__________________

__________________
Noli Nothis Permittere Te Terere!!
EVGA 680i, Dual EVGA 8800GT'S (650/950), 4 gigs OCZ DDR2 1066, Intel Q9450 at 3.8 Ghz, Koolance Water Cooled, Dual Plextor16x DL DVD+/-RW. Dual WD 250gb 16mb Cache Sata 3.0. 3DMark06 score = 19,168.
RicoDirenzo is offline  
Old 03-20-2008, 06:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru
 
aspire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: United States
Posts: 5,308
Default Re: Step up or not?

buy a second and go sli over the gx2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicoDirenzo View Post
If money is no object, get the new card. If you are like most of us you may want to consider a second GTS until Nvidia prices on the GTX come down considerably.
Are you referencing the 9800gtx? Because thats not even out yet.
__________________
If I help you with something, you think I'm the bomb, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the star under my post.

Thanks!

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
aspire is offline  
Old 03-20-2008, 06:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 84
Default Re: Step up or not?

you bought it at launch? i feel like stepping my GTS thanks to the drop in price but im only running it on 1680x1050 res. and yeah, the time span with the wait too...whats avg wait time?!
kur0suto is offline  
Old 03-20-2008, 06:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
RicoDirenzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,102
Default Re: Step up or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire.comptech View Post
buy a second and go sli over the gx2.



Are you referencing the 9800gtx? Because thats not even out yet.
No, I bloopered and edited.
__________________
Noli Nothis Permittere Te Terere!!
EVGA 680i, Dual EVGA 8800GT'S (650/950), 4 gigs OCZ DDR2 1066, Intel Q9450 at 3.8 Ghz, Koolance Water Cooled, Dual Plextor16x DL DVD+/-RW. Dual WD 250gb 16mb Cache Sata 3.0. 3DMark06 score = 19,168.
RicoDirenzo is offline  
Old 03-20-2008, 06:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru
 
aspire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: United States
Posts: 5,308
Default Re: Step up or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicoDirenzo View Post
BTW, I don't think any 8800GTS is the same cost as a 9800Gx2...they cost $600.
He's talking about the cost of stepping up his 8800gts to a 9800gx2 versus buying a second 8800gts.

The price winds up being the same.... /rolls eyes
__________________
If I help you with something, you think I'm the bomb, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the star under my post.

Thanks!

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
aspire is offline  
Old 03-20-2008, 06:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Phoenix219's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 89
Default Re: Step up or not?

I bought my gts in january for 350, and now I can either step up to a gx2 for 250 or get another gts for 250, so i'm basically paying the same amount either way. I'm just trying to decide which route is the better one to take.
__________________
Q6600@3.6
EVGA 780i Motherboard
2gb OCZ Reaper 900mhz 4-4-4-12
EVGA 8800gts 512mb 800/1080
2x Western Digital 250gb SATAII Raid0
Antec 850w PSU
Antec 900 Case
3DMark06 - 15544
Phoenix219 is offline  
Old 03-20-2008, 06:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
I feel funny...
 
thirdshiftdj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lowell,Ma
Posts: 3,808
Send a message via AIM to thirdshiftdj
Default Re: Step up or not?

It's basically going to be the same thing in the end. Thats a toughy
__________________
NUFFIN!
thirdshiftdj is offline  
Old 03-20-2008, 07:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!
 
Peter.Cort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 5,018
Default Re: Step up or not?

you basically get the same thing for whatever you do, and you'll probably end up running into the same thing if you setup up to the gx2. if you can wait, wait and see if the gx2 price comes down at all.
__________________
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Peter.Cort is offline  
Old 03-20-2008, 07:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
M.C. Etcher
 
Grievearz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Gainesville FL
Posts: 321
Send a message via AIM to Grievearz
Default Re: Step up or not?

Honestly I'm not impressed with the GX2. It's basically putting a heater inside your computer and performs no better than 2 8800GTs for $200 more. Not to mention all the current driver problems. If you have faith in better drivers and have a case that can keep the extra heat away from your SB, go for it. Otherwise the additional performance from SLI is normally not worth the investment.
__________________

__________________


Maybe I'm a Lion...
Grievearz is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to behave on an internet forum Giles Forum Admin, Announcements & Feedback 9 02-28-2008 08:34 PM
Osiris' 4 Step Spyware Removal Guide (old) Osiris Viruses, Spyware and Malware 89 12-26-2007 06:37 PM
Question about my videocard dilemma... Evga step up program.. andrewsvalesen New Systems | Building and Buying 0 12-22-2007 12:43 PM
Youch! Europe+EVGA Step Up = NO GO! Andyf New Systems | Building and Buying 2 12-13-2007 01:48 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.